Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...learned to get as much satisfaction from saving as you do spending? I can honestly say yes, at this point. I'm far happier adding money to the bank than running to the store or shopping online. I prefer the growing safety-net to another 'thing'. Our savings have saved our behind multiple times in the last year or two, and was well worth the sacrifice. I wasn't always this way, and I hope I never go back. One step at a time...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I did today; about ten years ago I bought 2 Waverly Garden Room comforter sets and all the accessories (table toppers, accent pillows) because the fabric on our couch and chair were the worse for wear. I've noticed that although they're washed regularly, they're looking a little bedraggled. They're this print:

I'd forgotten that they're reversible to a pretty plaid, so I flipped 'em and saved a whole bunch of money. Yay!

·
Registered
167 Posts
...learned to get as much satisfaction from saving as you do spending? I can honestly say yes, at this point. I'm far happier adding money to the bank than running to the store or shopping online. I prefer the growing safety-net to another 'thing'. Our savings have saved our behind multiple times in the last year or two, and was well worth the sacrifice. I wasn't always this way, and I hope I never go back. One step at a time...
Yes, it seems the older I get the more I want to save versus spend. It seems that new gadgets and toys just make my life more complicated. I agree, the larger my "safety-net" the more comfortable I feel.

Reactions: piney

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
It depends on the day and what I am spending on. I prefer to spend on experiences not things if that makes sense. We are currently saving 45 percent towards retirement age goals. It is non negotiable for us. Add in sinking funds etc and the budget is snug. I will admit on occasion it leaves my a bit grumpy when there is something else I want to work into our budget and it is tricky. Right now that is a big family trip. We are cutting things like crazy and saving for it. It isn't so fun but it will be worth it. I can't say I have ever got a big rush from buying toys though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Suze has some right-on advice but the 'Can I Afford It' segment annoys me. Show on MSN Business is worth watching for first 30 minutes....

Love the book - 'Your Money or Your Life'. Right approach to financial independence, only drawing the interest off your investments for living expenses and leave principal in the bank after retirement/part time work move.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts