Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aparently 1500 people are confirmed dead and 1200 are missing--after the hurricaine....there is high danger of spreading of desease..there is water everwhere....

If I'm not wrong, I think Haiti is one of the poorest countries of the world...and now they are in a terrible crisis....

On the news, they said that Canada are sending humanitary help, here in montreal, one of our artists--Luck Mervill--originated from Haiti, is presenting a show and all money will go to help...and many organisms here are sending the help they can..

I can't help but feel so sad..:( One of my close cousins' dh is from Haiti...he's been here since a little boy, but still...he has lots of family there...

...have you noticed how much catastrophes are going around in this world?----wars, poverty, hurricaines, violence....what a world we have......!

:(

·
Registered
445 Posts
My Uncle lives in the Dominican Republic, which is connected to Haiti, and sent me this yesterday:
Thanks for the concern, but we only got some heavy rains, but the Eastern, Western and Northern areas of the country have realy suffered and it will be years to recover. Every bridge in the Eastern area has been destroyed and nothing can get in or out by land. We still have not gotten the full story on the damage etc. on the Hatian border.

We have power faileurs several times a day, up to sixc hours, but the building's generator kicks in automatically untill it runs out of fuel, then we go to battery back up power which keeps the refrigerator humming, the fans blowing and the lights lighting.

Uncle Jim

I wish the news carried more information, but even the locals don't know much.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It's very, very sad and frightening for the survivors. I've read some horrible things in the news.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Lucie your right, Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world and now this. So very sad.

As to our Canadian government offering them money - the small amount they are offering is a disgrace to me. As rich as our country is, we could be doing a whole lot more. :soapbox:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel horrible for all the people there that are suffering so much. They showed a man on the news in tears last night there and my heart just aches for him. There is just too much suffering all around the world.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
One of the men my dh works with is from there. He can't get in touch with his family, so our FRG leader has gotten on the phone to try to help. Apparently she has gotten as far as someone from the US embassy there who is supposed to go by the house address and see if his mom is ok. We are praying for them and the rest of the country. so sad.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CJ, ...I'm not too informed on what help Canada was sending, but I didn't know that they were not offereing much to help...:( That's too bad....these people NEED the money and the help.

Laci...I hope your uncle will be ok in all this natural disaster...:angel2: Melody...I really hope your dh's coworker gets good news from his family....:angel2:

Pierre is telling me that the hurricaine is heading to Florida...? Anyone heard anything new?....

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Lucie, the hurricane is heading to Florida and should be there late tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. QuilterMom is in the direct path of it. Daphne's mom also lives in Florida but I'm not sure if she is in the path of this one or not.

Here is a site to keep track of it.

http://www.noaa.gov/

It also shows you where Hurricane Karl is and where Tropical storm Lisa is.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank-you CJ for the link. Poor Quiltermom....Is she going to be safe?.... I hope Daphne's mom is safe too....:angel2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts