Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:toothy:
Do you know who you have to buy for? Made out your card lists if you send any? Any ideas on what you're making menu wise? Some gifts purchased? Freezing ahead any items? What have you made homemade for the holidays so far? Have a budget in place for how much you're going to spend? Simplifying this year? In what ways?

::cracks whip:: Move it-move it. ;)

I bought my quart sized mason jars last week. (gifts in a jar) Does that count as preparing a little? lol

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
i started at the after christmas sales last year. I have 2 gifts bought plus extra cards, wrapping etc.
Since my boys are teens they will get mostly cash, the out of town family (dhs mine dont do gift long distance) I have not figured out yet, probably money as well. Just his parents and brother/sil will get "real" wrapped gifts.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I sort of have a list - unfortunately it's only in my head. I have lots of nieces/nephews to buy for. Last year I did gc for them, so I'd like to do hm presents this year. My family does a gc exchage among the adults - everyone spends $20 and leaves with $20 to spend at some store. My stepkids will likely get money - since they're teenagers, it's easiest. I will probably be looking for some great garage sale toys for Isaac - he'll be too young to know the difference. Dh and I don't really exchange anymore for lack of $ - usually end up buying something for the house. Dh's family - we only buy for his mom and dad - just a gc there.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Bev, I'm in the same boat as you only I haven't even made a list.

When its 95 outside I'm not wanting to do anything Christmas. I know though we have to get started because were having another homemade Christmas again this year. I also know the older kids are getting money this year.

Will also be simplifying even more this Christmas.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We have a huge family, and the list stays more or less the same every year as far as who we buy for. The only difference is that at three of the family gatherings we draw names, so I have to wait until November usually to see who we have.

I stock my gift closet all year 'round with things I find. I used to buy lots of generic gifts, but now I try to buy more with someone in mind. DH and I have discussed some of the gifts we want to get, but haven't actually bought them yet. I've picked out my Christmas cards from the Current catalog, but haven't ordered them yet.

Every year my goal is to be done shopping by Thanksgiving... I've come close, but always have one or two last minute gifts to buy.

There's a great plan at the www.organizedhome.com site if anyone's interested.... it's a couple month's worth of countdown to Chrismas task lists. It goes too close to Christmas for me, but the concept is great.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have several gifts bought. I bought all my wrapping paper and cards last year after Christmas so I have all that already. I usually make out my Christmas cards the weekend after Thanksgiving but I may do it earlier this year. I have my list made and know how many gifts I need to buy or make. I plan on making the majority of my gifts this year. My goal is to be finished with all gifts by October. :D

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to get some extras for baking each week starting now, so it's not a large purchase all at once. Maybe plan a couple of decorations early too.
I sure could start picking up small items for the children for the holidays. We get paid monthly, so I only have 5 more paychecks 'til Christmas. :reindeer:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We draw names in my husband's family. Each couple's name goes into a hat and we each draw a name out after dinner on Christmas so we know who to shop for. You can either buy a couple's gift or individual gifts for them. I finally got this into the family after years of "hinting" that this would be a great way to save money and still be able to get a really nice gift for someone. We all still buy for the kids though.

I've already got my BIL, SIL and niece's gifts bought and ready to go along with my parents, one brother and his fiancee, a few good friends and some ''extra" generic type gifts. Oh, yes, I also have the white elephant gift bought (cans with lumps of coal in them). The wrapping paper, cards and special ornaments are also ready to go. I try to stock up at the after Christmas sales and fill in the rest of the year when I find good bargains.;)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have put away 2 gallon sized ziplock baggies of homegrown blackberries for baking..... I have many of my gifts already and all of my wrapping paper... I have my cards, and my list will have to be updated alittle .... I bought 4 bags of shreeded cocoanut and put it in the freezer (bought on clearance for .25c a bag) I will have many crafts to make still.. but I'm way ahaead of the game..... I would like to collect and freeze some walnuts that grow al over tomn to use during the holidays...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I checked over my lists today on my palm and I just have a couple of things left to get and some gift certificates. We have pared down to a very short list so it's much less stress than years ago when we bought for everyone (DH has a huge family).

I still haven't started my fabric gift bags but I do have the fabric and cording purchased and it's on my to-do list. Working on some cross-stitching as gifts as well.

Soon I'll go over my menus and recipes and tweak them. We're having Thanksgiving here with my DH's brother's family and we get home from a 10-day trip to Disney on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving... still trying to decide how I'm going to get the turkey thawed in time! :bang:

You guys are getting me in the mood! :reindeer:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I would really like to get started soon. My Christmas card list is short. I send cards to the same people give or take a few so that is no big deal. I would like to take the tax rebate and do a little shopping, but I am not sure if that will happen. So many other things could be paid off. My goal is to have all my Christmas shopping done by Black Friday. I do enjoy going out and getting the deals that day. The only thing that I have from last year is some wrapping paper. All the cards were gone by the time I got into the store. I have not been very crafty in my gifts but I would like to be able to make a few of my gifts this year.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Dawn, you can thaw the turkey in cool salty water......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lori,

ok, this is going to sound weird but we have been vegetarians for 13 years or so and we've just begun eating turkey and chicken again...I've forgotten how long it takes to thaw a turkey! :toothy:

But if I don't get home until late Tuesday and Thanksgiving is Thursday - it won't thaw in time will it Lori?

Thank goodness my SIL will actually be here to help me prepare the bird... I'm not ready to stick my hands in a dead bird yet ;)

The only alternative I could come up with was to order a fresh bird and pick it up Wednesday but I imagine that will cost me more!?! :confused:

btw, I make a mean vegetarian loaf! :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Well, I have some things ready...I have the wrapping paper. I have bought some gifts over the year for my neices and nephews, when there was a big special...What I really want to be ready is my cooking. I want to make cookies and treats for Christmas...I was thinking doing that in november...

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I plan on simplifying some this year.

I keep my Christmas card list on the computer for easy printout of labels. If I want to add anyone I can and it is also easy to delete or change info on it.

I have already purchased my cards as I get them after the holidays and put them up. Most of our gifts are already purchased as well.

I would love to bake ahead some items.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I've started buying tins and jars for candles at yard sale,also tins for cookies.This christmas is going to be scaled down big time so I'm planning like crazy.

Here's the direct link to organized christmas i do this every year

www.organizedchristmas.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts