Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing that there will be food and supply shortages, I've started setting aside things I know I'll need for Thanksgiving -- for example, cranberry sauce showed up on the Imperfect Food order, and I purchased a package of it. Recently there were some free turkey gravy packets in the culls area at work (I think they were overstock from LAST Thanksgiving) that I snagged. I'll use the pan drippings from the turkey as part of the liquid and no one will be the wiser.

I can get free day-old loaves of bread from work and will probably bring some home in early November to cube up for stuffing. They're the fancy loaves in the paper wrappers, so they'll stale quickly. I already have plenty of poultry seasoning on hand and have been buying an extra box of butter each week and stashing it in the freezer (I'm not expecting butter to go on sale this year like it usually does), so it's just a matter of having onions and celery and chicken stock.

I'm hoping I can get a turkey from work. Unfortunately the grocery store where I work is a high-end one and kind of expensive, even with my employee discount, but I've been saving my employee rewards all year in hopes to bring the price down (from time to time, the store management or department managers will hand out $5 or $10 store gift cards as a reward for going above and beyond our job duties, or if the store does well with inventory tallies, etc. They're intended to be used to buy a sandwich or something for lunch from the store, but sometimes employees use them to discount their groceries even further). I think I have $30 worth stashed away.

Having lots of pies on Thanksgiving is a HUGE tradition for half of our blended family (with leftover pie for breakfast the next day) and I've tried to keep that going. I do have a "ready to bake" blueberry pie in the freezer that we could use. I also have pumpkin on hand, but not a lot of time for making pies from scratch. Maybe I'll get some frozen pie crusts and enlist the kids. Last year I snagged the free day-old pies from the store bakery during October and November, brought them home, wrapped them up and froze them, and that's what we had for our pies... but they were a bit freezer burned. :cautious: If I save any pies like that this month, I'll have to wrap them differently than I did before.

Anyway, that's my Thanksgiving brainstorming today. Have any of you started on yours?

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
I have my turkey breast. They went on sale/clearance back in June and I snagged one because we like roast turkey any time. I have 2 boxes of stuffing left from a post holiday clearance binge-buy a couple years ago. That never goes bad. I'll make gravy from scratch using stock and drippings. Got frozen pie crusts, canned pumpkin from a couple years ago, a jar of pecan pie filling I never used, etc. Not sure what dessert I'll make this year. I have a freezer door full of butter, I buy as much as I can when it hits 1.99 or less (not often lately) . Have plenty of dried fruit and nuts if I feel like making fruit cupcakes.

Only half a bag of cranberries left from last year and I want to make muffins or quickbread with them, then get a couple bags of fresh berries for this year. I usually do a big fruit salad with them, plus sauce.

I'll pick up some fresh vegs when the time comes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc and do mixed veg bake. Maybe some winter squash. Will see what green vegs are on sale, usually broccoli or green beans, whatever. Will get fresh apples and other fruit for the salad, and pick up eggs for the deviled eggs the week before.

Since it's just the two of us my thing the last few years has been to have weekly meals featuring our favorite holiday dishes, rather than one huge meal with too many leftovers. So we might have pork chops, stuffing and green bean casserole the first week of Nov, and grilled chicken with gravy and creamed corn the next week, with gingerbread muffins during the week, and a small turkey dinner with cranberry sauce the week of. Then of course, leftovers go into a pot pie the week after.

Guess I better get my list together. :D

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
that is a nice way to do it ch.. I tend too also since smaller family ..and lets say too many dry meah turkeys etc of the past so it is hard to convince dh that turkey can be good. I am hoping that safeway brings back the frozen stuffed turkey breast..more natural not formed. plus they like it and it is juicy and tasty and no allergy problems. They have cranberry in the stuffing yum. I bought into a hamper program so getting a turducken this year cus I wanna try it lol The stores have carried a couple frozen ones and some places fresh (not paying that price) and it has all the frozen veggies, stovetop, choc, breakfast stuff, gravy mixes etc. I will pick up sale stuff like prime rib,ham for later meals too. I love the idea of gingerbread muffins. I signed up for winter csa too so will get squash and other winter veggies from there.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I got nothin'.

Those turkey breasts for $1.99/lb. that I saw 2 weeks ago vanished in a day...I thought the price was too high and I reconsidered about buying one... Yup, that's what I get for waiting.. All I can find now is turkey drumsticks at $1.99/lb, OR a frozen turkey meal with a turkey and 3 sides (15 lb total) for $200, OR deli turkey........

The ham steaks are sold out. All I can find are those prepacked ham roll things and they are $4 - $5.50 a pound... I wonder if I should get one..::sigh:: The website shows butt or shank portion hams for $2.60/lb or $26 each.....

I'm thinking that it will be another day for me and I my end up working anyways, so chicken may be on the menu with mashed potatoes/gravy/stuffing/pumpkin pie. And that IF I can find chicken and stuffing!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Aldi had whole turkeys for $1.39/lb. Hoping they get cheaper soon. I did stock up on everything else already. They were low on pumpkin and had no evaporated milk. Found some low fat evap milk at walmart, just in case. I did find a couple of cans of milk in the pantry, so we'll be good there. I have everything for green bean casserole and bought instant mashed potato packets just in case I can't find fresh potatoes. Forgot to get gravy, but if I can't find any, I can always make some from scratch. You never know these days what's available and what's not. Also noticed prices are going up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh, if that's the Aldi price... o_O I mean, it's not yet "turkey season", so perhaps it will go down. That's concerning though.

I just checked my local Walmart's prices on whole turkeys. Butterballs are $1.48/lb and the ready-for-oven Jennie-O turkeys are $1.96/lb.

Target seems to have some turkeys in already, which surprised me. The cheapest ones there are $1.39/lb.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Yes I saw the Target price for frozen and the other grocery chains seem around $1.50/lb for frozen. Can get a free Safeway turkey if you spend $300 on groceries - nope. Hope everyone gets lucky in the turkey department.....
I have pumpkin pie ingredients. I'll make "stuffing bread" in the bread machine and cube and dry in the oven for long term storage. Just hubby and me thank goodness (and 2 dogs.)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Last year the pumpkin harvest was delayed, but they did get the canned pumpkin in in time for Thanksgiving... wonder if that is going to happen again this year...

I'm glad y'all started this post, I needed the reminder! Due to stupidity at the school, state, and federal level (my school assigned me to VA, which is very slow to get things done, but the state wants me to graduate early...) there is a chance they will try to make me work clinicals on Thanksgiving weekend... but for now I am assuming I will still be hosting all the local family... worst case, I'll keep the turkey in freezer and we can have it later.

I'm planning to stock up on Aldi boxed stuffing next visit-- very good and always super-cheap. We're drowning in potatoes, so I will probably still be working through those and not need to buy many unless they start to go icky before then. I am going to gamble that turkeys around here will be on some kind of loss leader, but time will tell... one thing I DO plan to stock up on soon is frozen pies... those always seem to sell out around here, and there tend to be good sales if you shop early enough. Guess I need to start planning a menu <le sigh...>

At least I know I don't have to do much for Christmas this year. After DECADES of casting (culinary) pearls before (in-law) swine, I have officially admitted defeat. They can order their pre-cooked box-o-turkey from wherever and I will choke it down with the canned green beans and poppin-fresh rolls with a big fake smile on my face... They like it just fine and I don't see the point in exhausting myself. We will do a proper dinner on twelfth night at home.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
lol zhoen I hear you ..all the drama about holidays mil killing herself making bad turkey for only 2 people of the family and then going nuts making ham too and mashed potatoes plus scalloped cus you have to have both..who says fil..he passed and she said bye turkey in much ruder terms lol (didn't like turkey but the peanut gallery) but there is good places here to get meals from but $$$ not the generic store stuff. Prime rib is my go too here. usually cheap a couple weeks before xmas etc so freeze. have to say those pillsbury rolls lol love them.
have to say my neighbour and I have a good thing going lol We go over and have drinks on xmas eve and just hang out and have fun at her place.

should make a kentucky derby pie again..store came out with a version but only choc chips no nuts ..not the same. miss frozen pies here .mrs smith lol but getting some w hamper I paid for.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Zhoen, I have seen canned pumpkin around here. Not on sale yet, but it's on the shelves. I still have a can from last year, good until '22.

Waiting to see what will be on offer with store points. They should be changing it up after the first of the month.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Due to my school's stupidity (see MANY other RANTING posts on alllllll the other threads...) I just found out that there is a high likelihood that I will be working Thanksgiving day/weekend... for free, because I'm a student... SOOOOooooo... Big family Thanksgiving is cancelled. I am not entirely heartbroken over this... less stress, less cleaning, and the inevitable bickering will be at someone else's house (yet somehow H and I will still be blamed for it 😜 )

I texted everyone today and gave them a solid month's notice...

Meanwhile, after my shift on Thursday, I should have a good idea how all of November will go, and then I will re-work the plans from there.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Jo, a veggie pot pie would be nice. Sort of "day after" with a little cubed sweet potato, green beans, corn, etc. Top with stuffing or mashed potatoes and broil. Now I'm making myself hungry.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
zhoen yikes joys of free or cheap labour isn't it. and families.. remember sil complaining to everyone (she is older them me) about not having turkey on xmas to everyone who came over cus mil made ham.. so finally just said well just do it yourself then if you want it so bad (she can cook) and she shut up lol We were always honest to mil don't kill yourself making x y and z for us (and since her son was the picky one lol) but we didn't complain cus guests. but yes you still hear about it. can you just get the kids to put in a prestuffed butterball or something and do some basic sides for your family? doesn't have to be fancy, buy some take and bake rolls etc? or if it is worth ordering a precooked meal?

my mom layered ham and turkey w stove top stuffing once in a loaf pan and that was nice.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Kroger had some turkeys....Huge ones for $1.99/lb or smaller for $1.59/lb. I got a small 11 pounder....DH may have wanted a bigger one, but I don't want a lot of leftovers. I end up freezing it and get tired of trying to find new recipes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts