Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some great ideas from you guessed it the TWG.I pulled it out to reread a few days ago and low and behold something I looked over.Can you believe that.

BABY TUB-use the kitchen sink and hold babies head up,or fill bathtub with very little water

BABY WIPES-use wet washcloths or cut up old diapers

BOTTLES-babies can be nursed till 12months and go strait to cup

CHANGING TABLE-use a towel on a dresser top,or like me I changed them on the floor on a towel

CLOTHES-hand me downs or yard sales

CRIB-use a dresser drawer with bedding for and infant or playpen for older baby

DIAPER BAG-use a duffel bag or and sturdy bag or backpak

DIAPER STUFF-use shortening instead of petroleum jelly or desitn,cornstarch in stead of powder

GATE-put baby in playpen or crib,or close doors

HIGHCHAIR-stroller or baby swing or walker

MOBILE-kinda useless they grow out of it so fast

PACIFIERS-don't start them on it and when they are toddlers you won't have to buy more when they loose theirs at the store and cry for it(this one came from me lol with a ds whose still on one)

PLAYPEN-use a crib

SHOES-not necessary untill they start walking

STOR BOUGHT BABY FOOD-Make your own,i did this by getting frozen veggies on sale and steaming them and pureeing in the blender(use spendthrifts old baby food jars)

STROLLER-use baby backpAK

Feel free to post your baby substitutes too!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Excellent ideas! I am amazed at the number of people who think you *have* to have disposable diapers, wipes and even bibs. I wonder how our ancestors managed, before the advent of disposables? lol

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
When I was pg with Ryan, I bought her bed and chest at a store called something like convertible furniture. The bed made a crib, a youth bed, a twin bed and now is a full size bed. The only think I had to do was get the various size mattresses. The chest had two tops on it and you turned it upside down to make a dressing table (just fliped the drawers over) and then right side up as a regular chest. It was more expensive to start out with, but gosh I have used the same furniture for almost 10 years now. You can't do that with a regular crib and changing table, plus it's solid wood.

As for the baby bath tub - used the kitchen sink. She loved the sprayer. When she got bigger, someone gave me a baby bath tub but she was never fond of it.

Most of her clothes were and still are hand me downs and yard sale finds. I am fortunate that I have lots of friends with daughtersslightly older/bigger than Ryan.

Most of the big baby stuff - highchair, etc. I was either given as a gift or someone let me borrow/gave me theirs.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
What good ideas!

That furniture sounds wonderful, Pat!!
I am needing a toddler bed for Tyler and trying to figure out how to afford one. Any ideas on that??? lol

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
To me a toddler bed was a waste of time. None of my boys liked them, and I ended up buying a twin bed shortly after they were out of their cribs. I would buy a twin bed and get rails for each side of the bed. That way you are not buying a bed that you will only use for a short time. You can always use the crib with the side left down for them to crawl out when they wake up, until you can buy a twin bed. If you really think you need one, I would check the local paper, and of course the 2nd hand shops. Garage sales are also a nice place to find them. Hope this helps a little.

Traci

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Thanks, Traci. Good ideas!
I was thinking I could just put his mattress on the floor for now too if need be. I am worried if he decides to climb out of the crib he will get hurt, since his room is hardwood floors.

I can't wait for yard sales to start... course we need the SNOW to stop first. lol

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Sherry I wish you lived here.We have a consignment sale 2 times a year and last Sept I got bubba a toddler bed for $10!I never had one with Lauren(why I felt like I needed one with bubba I'll never know)With Lauren I had 2 full size mattresses(were mine before I met dh)and put them on the floor(no need for a headboard they are going to color or put stickers on)When she reached 3 we put in on the frame,and she still has no head board.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I will have to keep my eyes open at sales and the Goodwill stores for beds or even matresses. I'll have Dave's mom and sister watch too, they go to alot of sales.
Like I said, I could just put his crib matress on the floor. But I think I would need a rail to stick under it so he doesn't fall off in the night. That would be a rude awakening. lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 3 year old daughter is using my older brother's old metal bed that my parents found at a yard sale 30 years ago! It of course had a new coat of paint and has a new mattress! She went straight to the bed after she jumped out of the crib and landed on her head).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Sherry I was going to suggest the mattress on the floor also - that is what I did with both my girls. That way if they do fall out of bed, there is not far to fall. I put pillows along the edge of the mattress in case they rolled off, kind of slowed down the momentum, lol.

As another option for baby stuff -- I highly recommend Freecycle. I furnished my entire daycare from offerings and requests on Freecycle. It is wonderful. Just make sure to use "Freecycle Karma" and list things that you don't need any longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts