Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.5 weeks ago I brought in a bunch of stuff to our local con. store, which I had only used once last year. She emails you that day with the listings of what things will sell for- after 60 days, if you don't pick up any unsold items, she 'donates' them, it's a written contract. Well, I waited a week then let her know I didn't get my 'list'- she emailed me it, I saw 3 jewelry items were missing from it. A vintage necklace, a vintage pair of earrings (both were Victiorian rose-ish) and a REALLY nice gold tone adjustable ring engraved, made in Spain and labeled as so. I emailed her asking about those items, she tells me: the necklace 'fell apart' after I left, she doesn't take used earrings (OK, so why did she not mention that when standing there looking over my items with me right there? the earrings weren't in a box or on a cardboard, they were loose and she never mentioned it), and according to her the ring was 'tarnished' (was not, I wore that a bit and inspected it a few minutes before it went to the shop, debating selling it). She claims she 'donated' it all. I have emailed her 2 or 3 times since, letting her know I feel it was not right for her to dispose of my items she decided not to sell without giving me a chance to claim them. It was still MY property, it had not been 60 days to be donated, and no where on her contract or website does it say anything about items becoming her property once left in the store. I asked if she might get them back for me, or how we could resolve this (I'm thinking along the lines of $5 or such in my account)- she has ignored my emails completely.

How would you handle this? The items are not worth a great deal of $, but if given the chance, I would have picked them up and sold them on etsy or eBay or even donated them to the Green Center I frequent- but I feel they're MY items and I should have had the opportunity to get them back within a reasonable amount of time should she have decided not to sell them. Does this all sound a bit fishy or am I a paranoid girl here? I am a bit angry about this, as you can tell- she 'wants' the items til I've left, doesn't send me the item listing for a week til requested, then claims she 'donated' most of the jewelry I dropped off, MY property, without asking me.

I am trying not to make a big stink- her policy is you must have $10 in your account to get a printed check- I had almost $8 last time, will be eligible for a check if I'm over $10 7/1...plan to grab my check, grab my stuff unsold, and not deal with her again. If I pull out now I just have the $8 as credit towards purchase- no thanks! I feel almost as if she's stolen from me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm sorry that that has happened to you and no you are not paranoid. I put several $100 of dollars worth of higher end plus size clothing in a cos shop and none of it sold, so they told me I had a week to call them back or they were going to donate. I told them to donate since I don't really need the clothes and it was just sitting aroung my house anyway. Now I think back and wonder if nothing really sold- I think they were lying. Maybe try calling the BBB (Better Business Beareu) to report what has happened. Or do you you have a local news station that does inveigative work on scams or something in that nature? We do here in Michigan. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
You have email proof from her that she violated the terms of her own contract.

What is the estimated value of the items in question?

At the least, you should pull your remaining items and demand payment for the items donated in violation of the contract.

If she refuses, depending on the value, either small claims court or a civil suit would be the next appropriate steps, so if she refuses to compensate you for the items "donated" inappropriately, you tell her, "You broke your own contract and I have emailed proof from you showing that. If we end up in court over this, you will lose, so why not avoid having to pay my legal fees as well, pay me what I'm owed, and we'll never do business again?"

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That does sound fishy to me.....were those items really not re-sellable and donated or were they re-sold and you not given the credit...I would not do business with them anymore!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Sounds very fishy to me. I like Greebo's advice. :)

I dropped off a lot of nice clothing to a cosignment shop several years ago and according to the owner, 'none' of the items sold. I didn't believe her, but at the time, didn't know there was any recourse.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kicking my own behind here- dropped off some plus sized capris/summer skirts,many new with tags, that 'didn't sell' with her last summer. I did drop them off a little later in the season, so maybe they didn't sell...but left a bad taste in my mouth then, stupid me for trying her again! She did finally email me saying she would call me later to discuss the jewelry....we'll see what she says, but IMO, she needs to retrieve them for me, or pay me the $ they were worth. Nice to hear I'm not just going paranoid over here with this! I have saved all emails, including one of me asking were items were, and her replies admitting she 'donated' them. Thanks guys! I plan to mention this ordeal to my BFF's hubby, also my good friend, and a well known, well loved police officer in our town....he'll let me know if he's heard of anything weird with her store before. Bad news for her if she doesn't right this to my satisfaction- bad word of mouth spreads fast and lingers, I tell 3 of my friends in our tiny town, 25 more people hear of it before July hits!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I had a bad consignment shop experience also. Took in an almost new baby bed, mattress, and high chair. Those things sell like hot cakes in this area. The shop tells me they don't make a list to give me of what I bring in; that is my job. Should have thought then and there that it was fishy. Went in next week, and they were gone. I asked for my money. They claimed that I had never brought in the items. Then they said they were in the back being repaired. I asked to see them in the back and they refused. When I complained very loudly, they said they must have put the wrong number on them and credited them to someone else's account. I had to push and threaten, but finally got the measly amount of money from them. Blah.......

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
YEOW! Sorry this has happened to you Khaski.
Sounds shady to me too.

Don't deal with co-sign. shops......and after reading these horror stories I won't be. The no-list thing would have been a big 'light bulb moment' for me.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Have never dealt with one. Sorry you're having this problem. Stick with it to get some compensation. It doesn't matter how much they were worth; they were yours until the 60 days were up. Call your friend. And gossip; especially bad travels really fast.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yup...I've had troubles also. It always seems like *your stuff didn't sell* is their battle cry. The one time I took in a ton of stuff and only got about 10.00 after all the "fees", etc. And I noticed just the other day that our Platos Closet closed. Isn't that the huge teen resale shop???

·
19,119 Posts
Nasty business here. Hope your policeman friend can help. If not, I'd follow Greebo's advice.

Sold things through one consignment shop - owned by our neighbor and a wellknown realtor. Never had any problems. After these horror stories, I'd never do it again.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Hey now ,don't assume they are all shady.
I had one and ran it reputably.

There are two sides to the coin ; You wouldn't believe the crap that customers try to get away with.

As for the OP's problems in question. The shop owner should not have donated your things. She should have called you to tell you that those items were not sell-able and give you the option what to do with them.Unfortunately if you did not get a written signed list of what you dropped off you have no recourse. It's your word against hers.
NEVER LEAVE A CONSIGNMENT SHOP WITH OUT EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i have had great luck w/ the one i consign with.

she does donate after 90 days. but, luckily, most of my stuff sells! she sends a check and a detailed statement of what i brought it and when it sells.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
There was a consignment shop that I grew up with and it had a great reputation. It lasted for years ( a decade or so) Most of the stores we have now have turned from consignment to resell where they buy your things right out ( cash or store credit) and the resell them. They look over your things and tell you what they can pay you ( and what they don't want)

There are still consignment sales ( like shop but not a permanent store front) They have good reputations.

This is actually the first time I have heard of people having a bad experience. Sorry to hear you did have a bad experience.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Although I realize that there are good shops AND bad shops, I think I'm just going to save myself the hassle of dealing with them, lol. I have a bunch of name-brand winter clothes with tags on them that were too big for my son last winter, and will be too small this coming winter. I was going to take them to my local kid's consignment shop. After reading this, I think I'll just donate them to a shelter; that way, I can be reasonably sure they'll go to someone who needs them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Most of the stores we have now have turned from consignment to resell where they buy your things right out ( cash or store credit) and the resell them. They look over your things and tell you what they can pay you ( and what they don't want)
The only one I had success with was one like this and they were VERY picky when it came to what they would buy from you. All the other places ripped people off so much so that they went out of business soon after they opened. I have two stories also similar to the ones already mentioned where my stuff supposedly didn't sell or I ended up with a measley $20 check for items I know they sold for a lot more than $100. Shady business, for sure! Many of them have a bad reputation around here, at least!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
imo....if you go to a consignment shop in a more "upscale" neighborhood, you can get honesty and better business practices both in buying and selling.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Check out the website of your state's attorney general. There is likely a link to their consumer protection division which will tell you how to file a report against a business that has engaged in deceptive business practices or fraud.Then file a report and cc the business owner. Oftentimes just a threat to a business, that you are going to file a report with the state's attorney general, will get you results without having to actually follow through

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: i did -finally- hear back from her, she is crediting my account some $...and she says she changed some 'language' about 'clear title' in her contract- I read it to mean I am vowing I have 'clear title' to the items I am consigning (meaning they're not stolen, whatever) I guess it's meant to read that SHE has title once you bring items in. Talked t my police officer friend who knows her well and vouched for her and her family- he thinks she just did a stupid thing w/ out communicating, wasn;t intentional slight or theft.

Reactions: imagine
1 - 20 of 21 Posts