Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a HE washer last week and I've noticed a severe difference between the previous washer and this one, particularly in regards to how well the items spin at the end. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (if anything) but for some reason, the HE clothes come out soaking wet still at the end of the cycle. I've even resorted to doing a drain/spin cycle in addition, but I fail to see how that's saving me anything in terms of electricity costs.

Does anyone else notice a difference and if so, is there anything I can do to make it better?

I don't load as many clothes into the washing machine and it still comes out the same way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We have an LG high efficiency washer, and it spins the water out as good as any I have ever seen. If that is a new washer, I would contact whomever I bought it from, and either take it back, or make them fix it.
The high efficiency rating is based on energy consumption and water usage, but should still spin the water out like any other machine.
By leaving your clothes wetter, it makes your dryer use a lot more energy to dry your clothes.
Something isn't right!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not brand new, though. I guess I should have put that in the original post. :) I'm heading downstairs now to see if the second spin did a better job.

T

·
0 Posts
I agree, it should spin faster and leave your clothes drier than a non-HE machine. It may need to be serviced. The only time I have an issue with dripping wet clothes with mine is if I'm washing something bulky and it lumps up.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was using Tide Pods which were for both and today, I got detergent strictly for the HE machine. Still same result...

It just had a new motor put in it.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have had my he washer for 9 years and have almost always used regular soap (I had alot of it when I bought the machine). The difference is that I just use half of the soap.
And the only time my washing machine doesn't spin the water out really good is when something is blocking the drain. The water doesn't drain fast enough in the tub and so the water gets drawn back into the washing machine. If this is not the problem I would have it checked out because that is one of the pluses of having a he washer; spinning so fast; less drying time.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I'm wondering if you're overloading the machine w/o realizing it. It may not be overloading to you but it could be for the machine. I find with the HE machine, I need to purposely set out to make smaller but balanced loads.

Traditional type machine - I could put 4 pairs of jeans and 3 sweatshirts/hoodies plus smaller items.

HE machine - I can only put 2-3 pairs of jeans and maybe 1-2 sweatshirts plus smaller items in order for them to spin dry efficiently.

Are you able to look up the owners manual online for specific guidelines for your machine?

Its definitely a learning experience and adjustment going from a traditional machine to an HE one. Eventually with more loads, you will find your sweet spot. I really like the extra rinse/spin option on our machine and you can choose how fast you want it to spin.

I hope its the size of your load that is your problem and not that your machines not draining properly!

·
Registered
450 Posts
My washer just broke this past week and I had to go to a HE washing machine. I have like 3 bottles of regular detergent left which I've been using. Just trying to use about half what I did with other washing machine.

Mine spins out fine, in fact probably dryer than the old one. It just takes longer to wash a load it seems... I'll switch over when I start buying more, I am not going to waste this much detergent! lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine takes longer to wash on the normal settings. Mostly I use the "quick wash". It spins drier than any other machine I've had.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had this issue with mine, It started out great and quickly went down hill. It turns out mine was just a clogged filter. I went online to find the instructions on how to clean it and it took me about 2 hours to do it (I am soooo not handy with that sorta thing).

I cleaned it and it now is back to normal. My understanding is the clogged filter is a common issue that is easily remedied. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Oh, and to actually answer your question, my HE spins remarkably better than my regular washer did.

When I wash bedclothes, I can AIR dry pillow cases under the ceiling fan and have them completly dry before the next load of clothes is out of the washer.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had this issue with mine, It started out great and quickly went down hill. It turns out mine was just a clogged filter. I went online to find the instructions on how to clean it and it took me about 2 hours to do it (I am soooo not handy with that sorta thing).

I cleaned it and it now is back to normal. My understanding is the clogged filter is a common issue that is easily remedied. Good Luck!!
I'm going to have to definitely check that out then. I'll let DH know to check it out when he gets home from fixing the brakes on the van at FIL's house. :) Ty!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Libby what kind of he machine do you have. My understanding has always been that you can wash way more clothes in an he washer. I always put in more jeans than 3 pair.

Jellybeanz when I bought my he washer I had waaaaaaaaayyyyy more reg detergeant left over and have been using half just like you and it works fine. If I put in too much I get a suds message and it stops the load for awhile; and then continues on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We've had an HE for about 6 months. It takes longer to wash, but spins VERY well. Much better than our non-HE previous washer. It takes half as long to now DRY our clothes.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
craftypam - we just got LG, before we had Samsung. I too use regular detergent in the HE machine b/c (1) you can and (2) I have such a large stockpile of regular detergent to just 'give away'. We do have a few bottles of HE compatible detergent which we will use occasionally and purposely leave out for dad should he attempt to use the washing machine on his own LOL

I do notice that with a fuller load in the HE, the water doesn't spin out as well but with the right combo of large and small items, it does spin dry beautifully. And yes, it does seem to take longer to wash but I love how it senses how much water to add to the amount of clothes in the machine but then again I'm always selecting extra rinse and dirtier clothes to ensure the clothes get washed thoroughly - ie DH's construction clothes.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DH found the 56-page guide online and I printed out the instructions to load and wash them, plus the list of items and what to set the washing machine on. I think we got it figured out now. :)

Apparently, I was loading it the wrong way. I've since changed how to load it and the clothes come out pretty well. Not as good as my old washer, but it's better than how the first week's worth of loads were coming out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
So glad you got it figured out. We purchased a new washer few months ago. We had a hard time finding one that wasn't HE...I wasn't crazy about the HE's....but my son has one and loves it...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We have one. Ours was doing the same thing we did a clean cycle and use a cup of bleach and hot water, It worked. Sears told me when it gets to the point of not spinning ,check your drain hose. It could be backing up and not draining completley or could be soap build up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts