Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting packed up to head north again. Not quite as far as last time, only about halfway to Churchill. The Canadian Rangers are again helping provide support to the Hudson Bay Quest, a dog sled race between Gillam and Churchill, approx 200 miles. I'll be heading to the midway point to work a checkpoint again this year at McClintock, where the mushers will take a mandatory 6 hour rest stop and the official race veterinarians will check over the dogs and make sure everyone is in good condition. Our official capacity is to check for mandatory equipment like cold weather sleeping bags, stoves and fuel, sufficient dog food, etc, as well as to monitor the condition, and treatment of the dogs. We are also there to help out if a distress call comes out, and to provide wildlife protection from polar bears if necessary.

We had lots of snow up until a few days ago, temps slightly above zero and winds near 100km/hr today sure took a toll on what we had. Hopefully the dogs still have good snow to run on, and the wind dies down.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
What fun!

I see the Iditarod had its youngest winner ever.

All our sled dog races were canceled this year due to lack of snow. :(

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
The Beargrease which runs along the north shore of Lake Superior is a qualifier, too.

John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon :: Duluth, MN

Pet some doggies for me while you're up there! I'd love to volunteer to work on a race sometime but have to get into better physical shape first.

We've had huskies and husky mixes since 1976. :) The doggy on the home page you linked to looks very much like one of ours we had in the past, Suzy.

I see our homeboy Blake Freking is running in that race. He and his wife both ran the Iditarod a few years ago. His wife is one of our local vets, and her team was hit by a snowmobile. It was pretty horrible. One dog died and others were injured.

Looks like there's three more teams from our area, too, so I guess Minnesota is well-represented!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Have fun!

Was reading about the Iditarod and the winner.

Would be fun to see one......

Watch out for the PETA people.........read that they were getting more involved in the bit**ing about it. They can be
pretty radical.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
If anyone from PETA ever ran sled dogs, they would understand it's not cruelty. These dogs live to run. The cruelest thing you can do to a sled dog is leave it home in the dog yard while the rest of the team goes out for a run. A sled dog about to take off for a run is absolutely joyous. And good mushers, which is the majority, take care of their dogs better than they take care of themselves sometimes.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Have a great time! Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got home a few minutes ago. Word is that Shawn McCarty won it, then Troy, then Stefaan. It was a great time, a little challenging at times, with freezing rain and a few mishaps, but everyone is safe and sound. 5 teams ended up scratching for one reason or another. I'll write more in a bit, the bathtub calls me!

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Shawn McCarty is from the same town I live in, but I don't know if I've met him. Nice to see a hometown guy win though!

Our vet's husband took fifth with his team of Siberian huskies.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Beautiful pictures, glad to hear everyone is safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts