Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions as to sights to see? I am already planning on going to the Mutter Museum, but am looking for other attractions. I'll be there about four days.

I don't know if I'll be renting a car. Right now, I am going to be staying close to the city center, but may rent a car for a day or two.

·
8,714 Posts
~If you go across the bridge to NJ you can visit the Camden Aquarium. It's very nice. :) The Franklin Institute is pretty cool. But mostly I'd say to go to the Art museum. It is top-notch. I could spend years in there. They used to allow you "free" admission on Sundays and you could make a donation if you wanted. I don't know if that's still true.
ETA: found that's it's any price you want to pay on the first Sunday of the month. ;)
AND if you're not a vegetarian get a cheesesteak. :lol:
Had to edit one more time....If you do get a car you should go to Longwood Gardens and Lancaster. So worth it and not a long drive at all! With a car you could even make it to NJ beaches in a couple hours. :D~

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The aquarium doesn't look too far - wonder if I can just catch a cab or bus out there....

Art museum - definitely :)

I might have to pass on the cheesesteak. Does seem somewhat sacrilegious to visit Philly and NOT get one, but I think I'll risk the lightning.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Go on a Philadelphia Chocolate Tour!! My D is a tour guide for them. A bit pricey but the chocolate from Teuscher is heavenly! Rittenhouse Square and Reading Terminal market are fun to walk through. D is heading back to Philly as we speak...she just left a few minutes ago. She is a college student there and knows tons of free fun places to visit. I will ask her when when I speak to her... probably tomorrow.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
164 Posts
Also if you want to eat vegan (not necessarily raw) I know of 2 outstanding restaurants in Philly. Upscale place is called Vedge and "fast food" place is called Hip City Veg. Both have some fabulous selections!!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I am keeping all these suggestions in a notebook that I'm taking with me! :)

I just checked out Vedge on the internet, and it looks great! I will be flying solo for about 1 1/2 days, so maybe I'll check it out then. I don't think my friend is big on "health" food.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Liberty Bell and Independence Hall? They are right near each other and were free last time I visited. It can take a while to get into a free tour, but the park near the hall was lovely to wander in while waiting.

Independence National Historical Park - Independence National Historical Park

To tour the hall you need a ticket, you can get them on site (free) but it might be advisable to reserve one through the website since it is tourist season.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, CH! I will check out getting a ticket. Would be a shame to go to the City of Brotherly Love and NOT see the Liberty Bell!!

Thanks, nodmicks, I intend to do just that! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts