Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an Envelope for healthcare costs and how much is in it? I have a co-pay of $25 office and $100 emergency. I've been thinking of starting an "envelope," which actually would be an ING direct savings account for this.

It seems like the more I think about it the more I need it! Took the kids to the Dr. office a few weeks ago and had to buy meds and then I ended up in ER last week. I luckily was able to use money from my emergency fund, but it only had $1000 in it so now the $300 check I'll get from EMS this month will be going into savings instead of towards an extra car payment.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
We have a healthcare spending account through our insurance and we plan for all the meds, plus about $100 per office visit, $120 per blood test, and about the same for routine eye exams. I guess You'd put in about the same for routine dental visits, too. It adds up fast when you think about it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i kind of do
for car repairs - healthcare - clothing - vacation ( i wish ) - saving for - ( ie right now saving for a used car for ds ) EF- etc i have my checking acct broken down in separate categories in quicken .
so it in my bank acct but doesnt appear on my quicken as a part of whats in my reg acct
but i never go by the actual amt thats in it if i look online at my balance because i have it broken down like that i go by what it says is in it in quicken .

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I started an insurance deductible "envelope" since we have a $5000 deductible. We have private insurance. If the $5000 IS met then it's 100% after that whether it's in January or December.

As long as we stay within the plan doctor visits, tests etc prices have been contracted to be lower prices. For instance I just had blood tests done and they were way over $200 but I paid less than $20.

But as of right now I don't have an "envelope" for the visits. If something comes up I just pay it while building the $5000 deductible. If it were necessary yes, I would take it out of there.

Once, if ever, I get the envelope built to the full amount I would consider having an envelope for regular doctor visits or smaller unexpected things that come up. Not meds tho as they are every month.

My goal tho is to have the $5000 deductible plus some extra for the unexpected and unscheduled.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Health care is already deducted but I allow $100. per month for copays and unexpected
Also $200. for meds and $75 every other than month for supplies.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We don't have any routine meds, DH and kids have a $100 deductible for meds and 50% copay on everything after that. Health deductible is $1500 with 80/20 copay after that. 3 outta 4 of us wear glasses (which we luckily get at a discount since my Aunt works at the office). We will not be replacing any ones frames this year, only lenses IF necessary. DH quit wearing his contacts, so that helps save a little too. I also have dental for DH and I, but not sure what the plan is.

DH and kids are on an individual plan through blue cross, his employer is looking into a group plan though! Hopefully they will have a family plan for him that's cheaper than the $233 we pay monthly now, if so that amount will start going to my healthcare envelope until it's built to where I want it!

I think for now I will start out putting just a small amount into my envelope every month, like $20. I need to sell or pay off my car before I put more in there. I'd like to get at least $5500 built up in a fund, since that is the amount of each of our deductibles combined.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have an HSA and a high deductible, so money from each pay check goes to it. Then we have a "credit" card for that account and use that to pay medical bills.

Because rules changed, this no longer covers OTC meds. So we will have to pay out of pocket for those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts