Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been up since 1:30 this morning with the worse heartburn and a sharp nagging pain in between my shoulder blades. It is better now but I'm afraid to eat anything. I did notice that if I drink club soda it helps when nothing else does. I think I've went through a case of club soda in the last week. This comes on out of nowhere and lasts a few days. anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Prilosec OTC has really helped my hubby. He used to have heartburn on a regular basis, but takes prilosec everyday and he never has it anymore, regardless of what he eats. Its about $25 for a 40 day supply. HTH

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I would see a doctor right away. Do you drink coffee? I notice if I drink extra coffee or eat too much chocolate, I get heart burn. Also, do you eat spicy or acidy foods? Tomato sauce, etc? If so, that could be a culprit.

Sorry I'm not much of a help, but I do hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
DH takes prescription Nexium, costs $40 for a 3 month supply. When he feels an attack coming on, he drinks a glass of soymilk and takes a Nexium.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I found the culprit. I had some orange juice with breakfast that morning and when I thought about it that's when the heartburn started.And of course I love orange juice.Unfortunately I have tried both of the medicines mentioned and they haven't helped. I love spicy food but stay away fromit as well as cut down my coffee intake. One good thing the pain in my back has moved into my shoulder so it is a little more tolerable, Thanks againfor allthe feed back

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
You should be checked out by a dr. . Shoulder and back pain can be symptoms of a heart attack :( Not to freak you out or anything but most people don't realize they are having a heart attack. Also, I used to have terrible heart burn. I used to drink dr. pepper, at least one glass per day. When I completely stopped drinking any and all carbonated drinks my heart burn went away completely. I can eat car tags now and chase them with battery acid and I have no heartburn, e.v.e.r... .

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's how I ended up in the ER last time. Gall Bladder attacks can do that too. You really need some diagnostics to determine whether it is heartburn or something really serious. Hope your guess is right.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I think you should go see a Dr. I have gerd but brfore being dx I had such bad heartburn I throught it was heart attack. I ended up in er. They had be drink a mylanta type drink....... I know take prevacid
Fern

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oooh, it could be GERD (gastro esophogeal reflux disease-- sorry I've worked for a doctor's office for too long...)

It could just be regular heartburn but it could also be the beginning of GERD. If it is then you would definitely want to catch it before it corrodes the lining of your esophogus. That's something that can't be repaired once it's badly damaged.

If anything your doctor would perscribe something. If you have a decent health plan then your co-pay for the perscription could be very low or you could pay nothing at all.

It's like colo-rectal issues... you don't want that to go left unchecked.

I apologize for the obscure comparison.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I find that when I have juice or milk alone or in cereal for breakfast, thats when I get wicked heartburn. I seem to be fine if I have milk/dairy after I've had breakfast. Coffee doesnt do a thing to me, just dairy and oj first thing in the am.

Try changing your diet around, eat them at off times and see if you still get it PLUS see your doctor to make sure its just heartburn.

Hope you get better soon!

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I just saw this today, so I am chiming in a bit late. I began having increasingly bad heartburn -- and any kind of carbonated drink helped a lot (wow! an excuse to drink diet coke in the middle of the night!), and I also had the back pain radiating down into my left arm; sometimes it was very severe. It was my gall bladder. This was really off and on, sometimes "off" for a long time, and I always said if I had a heart attack I would just die from it, because I would be sure it was indigestion.

I agree that you really need to have this checked. How I hate hearing that advice when someone gives it to me! But this could be something that needs to be attended to. When you have that kind of back and arm pain, it could be more than simple heartburn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts