Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a dog that I first saw on Petango on Friday. I went to their website and they have 30% off any order and free shipping for orders over $35. Heartworm medication is expensive and with 30% off and free shipping its the best price I've seen. You do have to have a prescription from your Vet to buy it.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean that they won't give you the prescription? My vet did and (haven't used him in awhile) and when I tried to change vets they wouldn't so I just stayed with the vet I had.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Yeah. I have heard complaints about exp. dates and pkg. too.
Just so your aware. I saw Costco had pet meds for fleas too but I doubt it was HW. Do you jst get the test w. him and then he writes it? Nice if so.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you just adopted a dog...he needs to be tested first, before you just start giving him the meds.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You don't want to play around - be sure to get your new dog tested for the HW. I've heard stories about the meds online too, I always get them from my vet. Maybe you pay a little more for the meds, but if the online meds are faulty / expired and your dog does get heart worm - the treatment to get rid of the heartworm will put a huge dent in your pocket book and it's not easy on the dog either.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I have heard complaints about exp. dates and pkg. too.
Just so your aware. I saw Costco had pet meds for fleas too but I doubt it was HW. Do you jst get the test w. him and then he writes it? Nice if so.
I do. This time though the place I adopted the dog from did the heartworm test. I have bought from Dr Foster and Smith several times and never had a problem with exp dates. I even ordered for 2 dogs 2 12 month and used some of it the following year with no problem with dates.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Many vets won't give you a script or deal with places like petmeds.com over the phone because they want you to buy the meds from them...you go elsewhere, they lose the $. But if you wish to buy the meds elsewhere (I wouldn't buy heartworm meds off eBay, but reputable places like Foster and Smith etc. are fine) you have every right to INSIST on getting the prescription- they cannot force you to purchase through them! My friend had this issue, the vet wouldn't 'deal with those companies' but suddenly would match their price, so she was happy.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Khaski,
In the beginning my vet gave me the script and then did start matching the price. That happened awhile ago becauae I haven't had a dog in 2-1/2 years and will find out tomorrow when I go to the Vet with my new baby LOL

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
LOL. you can insist all you want but the vet has no obligation to write the prescription. Petmeds is the company everyone complains about. I know my vet was genuinely wanting my pets to get the best care as well as not support companies that could potentially endanger your pet. He was a good guy and offered care for us by waiving the exam fee when DH had his near fatal accident. Unfortunatley,his DR. told him he had to retire.
We buy the sentinal because it covers HW,fleas and ticks. We pay $44. for 3 dogs (2 XL and 1 L dog) per month for 10 months a year (cold climate-discount). I always try to get rebates but I sure wish it were cheaper but not at the cost of the health of my buddies.
What my vet did was switch to generics which were cheaper and additionally offer the name brand stuff to us at the generic price. I was satisfied w/ that solution.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Polly that is the medication my dogs were on. In cases such as this how do you really know the reason it didn't work? I will be curious to see what medication the vet puts my dog on. Maybe I should take that article and ask the vet about it.

And speaking of dogs when I went to that site I clicked on something else and found this video. My golden retriever that I had did this exact same thing and I thought I would die laughing. And by the time I found her she wasn't even trying to get the lid off.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2011/06/how-to-tell-which-dog-got-into-the-trash/

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have ordered from Petshed dot com for years now. They are in Australia, but it only costs $6-7 shipping. They're the cheapest I have found. I have 2 dogs and 5 cats, so flea/tick/heartworm medications were pretty expensive. The markup at the vets office is ridiculous. (My cousin's husband is a vet.)
I did some research a few years ago and found that Ivermectin is the main ingredient for heartworm medicine. Since I had that, I have used it a few times.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Frugal warrier, in my book , a vet who will not write a script is a vet who no longer has my business! For flea meds ,if you have more than 1 dog, it is cheaper to buy the bigger tubes and split it up between the multiple dogs.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just bought 6 months worth of heartworm meds for our dog and I ended up getting it from the vet. I checked Petmeds and Dr Foster and Smith. The vet was still cheaper. It was 30.00 for 6 tabs from the vet .

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to the Vet today and the 30% off is no longer good for Petango; if it was that would be cheapest for the heartworm meds. Their price was $75 - 30% = $52.50

Drs Foster & Smith $70/39; 6 tblts/12

The vet would have written me a script; but suggested I check out their prices with their rebate form. I did for 12 tblts it was $77 with a $15 rebate.

Jamielane can I ask where you are in MI; you really seem to have gotten a good price. Also what size is your dog? Mine is the largest; maybe that is why yours were cheaper.

Khaski,
I was going to try a new vet quite a few years ago and they would not write a script for heartworm; I stayed with the old vet. They should try to help you out financially with your pet.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You know Pam, I don't know. I think you're right to just ask the vet. Just thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

That dog in the trashcan was hilarious! We had more trouble with our big cat getting in the trash then our Suki. Every time we left the house he got in it. Whoever his person was before us must have really given him the devil for it because when he'd see us he'd run like he was in a race. Never did get the lid stuck on his head though. LOL.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know Pam, I don't know. I think you're right to just ask the vet. Just thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

That dog in the trashcan was hilarious! We had more trouble with our big cat getting in the trash then our Suki. Every time we left the house he got in it. Whoever his person was before us must have really given him the devil for it because when he'd see us he'd run like he was in a race. Never did get the lid stuck on his head though. LOL.
I did ask the vet and she said they had never had a patient (is that what they are called) that got heartworm. Some of that is rumors that get started.

The reason you just described is why I wanted a dog soooo bad. Pets are funny and they give us such enjoyment.

Thank you for letting me know so I could ask the vet when I went there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts