Frugal Village Forums banner

Heat officially turned on yet?

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Darlene 
#1 ·
Well, it has been getting into the 30's and even the 20's at night here so I have turned the heat on offically this year. Yuck!!! My heat is turned down very low so it has only been running at night and early morning. Guess that is ok since winter is officially here in 4 days.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that this winter is not bad weather wise.

So is your heat officially turned on?

#5 ·
I'm kind of like bookwormpeg, but haven't had the A/C on sincemid to late November. I've had the heat on probably four or five mornings for half and hour or so, just to take the night chill off the apartment. We're down in the 50s all this coming week, so I'll probably have to use it a little in the mornings. Probably more in January/February, then it will moving back up toward A/C.

#11 ·
Central Florida too....A/C set to 77..no heat...air occasionally kicks on. Windows open at night when it got down in 40's and 50's. House still didn't get below 74 here either...That kept the house cooler during the day longer having the windows open at night.

#12 ·
It's on, but it's on low. The kids all have extra blankets on their beds, and DH and I have a sleeping bag unrolled on top of our comforter. :)

#14 ·
No heat here in Nor. CA. It hasn't gotten cold enough here.

#19 ·
During the day up here, I keep the heat on 68F. If it's lower than that, I'm absolutely freezing. It's bad enough I have to wear fingerless gloves when I type and two layers of shirts.

We had our heat on for a while now.

#20 ·
We have gas heat plus a gas fireplace. We keep the temp at 68 during the day and 50 at night. I like to sleep very cool! The cost of gas is pretty cheap here, so i don't mind using the gas fireplace quite often. We have 1850 sq. ft. home, heated with gas, a gas water heater, and gas fireplace, and our monthly rate is about $30. Not too bad!

#22 ·
Heat has been on here since November. Baby it is cold outside! LOL.
I am finding that as I get older, I can't tolerate the cold as well..... Plus I dont think this house is very well insulated which adds to the challenge. I dread the heating bill but have decided I would rather pay another 50 or so per month than be miserable all the time. I will still work to keep it low but I am setting the temp higher than I would have in the past

#23 ·
Woodstove gets loaded up in the morning, heats up to 80 sometimes (I often wear capri's & short sleeve shirts indoors :p ) and that will keep it warm for the rest of the day.

#24 ·
We heated with wood all the time we lived in MO, but had to get used to the gas heat up here. This might sound strange, but gas heat felt cold! Wood heat is soooooo much warmer!

#27 ·

Yeah it's balmy in the morn then cools off during the day so I throw on a sweater but keep the capris if I'm not going out. The other day I had to stop myself and change before we left the house to go grocery shopping. It was in the upper 30's and flip flops really weren't proper footwear. :p

#26 ·
Texas here, too, and with all the holiday baking, I've actually had the AC on lately! It finally got cool enough last night for the heat to kick on early this morning (unit switches from heat to cool, as required by thermostat, which is a good feature to have with this crazy weather here). I MUCH prefer cold outside. Envious of those of you that live some place cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.