Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
U.S. Energy Information Administration | Winter Fuels Outlook October 2021

"Winter Fuels Outlook
As we head into the winter of 2021–22, retail prices for energy are at or near multiyear highs in the United States. The high prices follow changes to energy supply and demand patterns in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We expect that households across the United States will spend more on energy this winter compared with the past several winters because of these higher energy prices and because we assume a slightly colder winter than last year in much of the United States. "

This is a detailed 40 page government document, which goes into depth on how and why your energy bill is going to go up this winter.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Landlord pays for heat here, so no worries. I have started closing the door to the living room to keep the heat in and the cold (from the entryway) out. Front door is very old and even with weather stripping that area stays cold.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Dh said people on the nextdoor app were saying their bills went up $20 and they are on level pay. Mine was $0.84 more this month and we're on level pay. We'll see what happens. We like cooler temps, especially at night.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I heat with wood and "north idaho energy logs" (8lb version of a presto log made from sawdust locally). I have waste wood from the building project and 1ton of the NIELogs so I should be set. Only heat overnight or when I'm home and the wee shed (off grid remember) for the day and it will get below 45degs inside. Above that I have sweaters and long johns and go out and work or whatever to stay warm. If I'm tired I will heat and do indoor stuff like cook or stare out the window with a cup of tea. I wear a hat and a wool sweater inside and have some thick wool slippers so I'm generally plenty warm.
When I lived in houses with central heating (ok...mostly trailers) I would invest in window plastic and other ways to seal the place up. Also did some minor passive solar stuff like uncovering south windows during the day and hanging blankets over any drafty windows.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flannel and two pair of socks is standard for us during the cooler months. We both have lap quilts for evening tv watching. Sometimes DH will even wear his robe.

Our electric went up $20, and we're on level pay. We haven't had the AC on for weeks and no heat yet. I don't know what else we can do to lower costs, we already do everything the electric co recommends, double pane glass, keep the heater serviced, digital thermostat, sealed gaps, etc. Can't close off rooms 'cause 1960's open floor plan.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm usually working on a crocheting project except during the hottest of the summer months so I'll have something on my lap for most of the winter. That and I love my sweaters. I also have warm socks (alpaca!) and fleece lined slippers for when my feet get cold as well as a fleece blanket for my legs.

I much prefer to bundle up under several blankets at night during the winter, rather than turn up the heat. I don't know if it's due to the 'weighted blanket' effect I get. Either way, I can control how warm or cool it is simply by adding or removing blankets.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I much prefer to bundle up under several blankets at night during the winter, rather than turn up the heat. I don't know if it's due to the 'weighted blanket' effect I get. Either way, I can control how warm or cool it is simply by adding or removing blankets.
While that works if I'm sitting, the blankets are less helpful for when I'm doing housework. The warm socks and fleecy slippers definitely work better here, and the layered shirts.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
For long periods of computer work I use a electric heated chair cushion in back and a lapghan. Shallow cardboard box to elevate my feet off the (cold) floor). Hubby and I both have flannel lined jeans from LL Bean :love: or I often wear thermal underwear all day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts