Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas on how to use up some extra heavy cream I have.

Thanks!:tay:

·
Registered
174 Posts
fresh whipped cream, alfredo sauce, garlic cream sauce, mashed potatoes....

Reactions: ecgsmama

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Reactions: ecgsmama and Libby

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Homemade butter, including flavored butter.

Basically, just pour the cream in a jar with a tight lid and enough room to get a nice agitation going. Keep shaking until butter forms. Pour out buttermilk. You might want to either let it sit for a minute or so in a tight mesh strainer to get the rest of the milk out or use butter paddles or a mould. Recruit your kids (if you have any) for the shaking part.

You can add herbs or honey to flavor. I've done honey butter. I add the honey at the start so it goes all through the butter. Haven't tried it with salt, though, so I'm not sure how much is enough to preserve without overpowering the flavor of the butter.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Let's see...

mix with lemon juice to sour it for biscuits (use in place of buttermilk)

use to thicken tomato soup

for cream soups like broccoli or mushroom

for gravy in chicken pot pie

make creamy dressings like blue cheese or ranch (in place of milk or sour cream)

Pretty much any place that calls for buttermilk you can mix it with 1-2 TB lemon or vinegar per 1/2 cup and substitute. In recipes that call for milk (like the salad dressings or gravy) you can use it straight or mix in a little water.

Reactions: ecgsmama

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow, these are all great idea's !! I wouldn't of thought of them.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I recently started making my own butter again with some organic heavy cream I pick up from Whole Foods. I used to do it with heavy whipping cream from my regular store but somehow this organic cream tastes different. There just seems to be more flavor to it. I know that what the cow eats can change the taste of the milk/cream but I never really had a chance to experience it until now. lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd make caramel sauce (melt brown sugar, butter, and whisk in cream and a dash of vanilla). Great on ice cream, on bread pudding, or to dip fruit slices in.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I used to do it with heavy whipping cream from my regular store but somehow this organic cream tastes different. There just seems to be more flavor to it.l
Lots of the heavy cream in the stores has CHEMICALS in it........to keep it from separating, shelf life, etc.

There is only ONE store here that has 'regular' cream...........and the only item LISTED on the cream is cream..............and that is Albertson's. All the other stores have added crap in them. It not only effects the whipping but the taste IMHO!

Make some butter with some of the cream.........you won't be sorry you did............amazingly good.

For each pound of butter you make you will get at least a pint of buttermilk. (make some pancakes or bread with that) Try to get all the buttermilk out of it that you can (even squeeze it with your hands)..........helps the shelf life.........especially if you keep it out of the refrig.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Homemade butter!!! It's the best and soooo easy. :D

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Keep the butter out of the fridge? Sounds counterintuitive to me. LOL

Actually, when I used to make my own butter using whipping cream, I'd get it from Acme's (before they closed the one closest to me). I believe that's run by Albertson's. I'll have to check the bottles I just picked up but I believe the cream is from a local dairy. And it separates some so I'm not sure if it has any additives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.