Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a recent college graduate living on my own in Boston. I found your community while researching tips/info on how to live frugally/save money. Right now I face the challenge of finding quality furniture at a (low) price that I can afford. Any tips on how to find inexpensive furniture that won't fall apart as soon as I assemble it? Thanks for any tips/advice :vibes:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Hi and :welcome: Have you looked at places like Craigslist or Freecycle. I live in an apt. and people post the furniture they are selling (usually posted in our laundry room or by the mailboxes), very inexpensive items and it's right in the area I live in, so not far to haul the furniture finds. We also place gently used items that are no longer needed by the dumpster (kitchen chairs, desks, ect...) that way fellow neighbors can claim it if they want. Have you checked your local thrift stores? You might want to try to buy gently used before buying new. My sister just moved to Boston for her job and most of her furniture (mine too) we have found at yardsales, thrift stores, or hand me downs from family. Good Luck :).

·
8,714 Posts
~I got some great pieces at The Salvation Army. You will need to get there as soon as it opens on Saturday and bring a truck to haul away your furniture. They will not hold it for you(at least they won't here). Remember, almost everything can be painted or recovered! I like getting real furniture(not that particle board stuff). Yard sales and auctions are also a good source for furniture. Do an internet search for auction houses and auctioneers in your area. Years ago my grandpa got a fabulous Ethan Allen table for less than a pair of new jeans! Plus, auctions are very entertaining! Welcome to FV!~

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome to FV! We got most of our furniture from people that we knew (free or very cheap), so put word out that you are looking and you just may get lucky. When I first moved out on my own, my little studio apartment was empty, aside from the bed (box spring and mattress only) I was able to buy. :lol:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
definitely take your time furnishing your place. the one mistake i made was running out and buying everything the same week i moved in. i was eating sandwiches for weeks afterwards paying for it. you only really need a bed at first. slowly add in things like a sofa and maybe drawers. first piece of furniture i bought? a dining room set. why? i dont know LOL i saw it and thought.. hey i need that. when i still didnt have a bed or a tv or anything. i rarely even used the table. still have it and it still gets very little use. anyway.. welcome!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Welcome to the village, Lib! :wave:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hi, Lib! Welcome!

I am a HUGE yard sale fan. I have found incredible stuff there at a fraction of the cost of new. Take your time and be willing to live with temporary solutions until you find the perfect pieces!

See you around~

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Hi and welcome!

You may be able to find some good furniture at yard sales in "good" neighborhoods. My parents found me some really nice furniture when I was starting out. They hit the yard sales faithfully every Saturday and it was amazing what people would be selling, sometimes just because they were tired of the items.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome! As everyone else said, definitely take you time getting all your furniture, for the first year and a half we lived together, all dbf and I had was a mattress and a dresser. We just put the word out that we were in need, and slowly but surely we came to have an apartment full of free furniture. Good Luck!

·
27,948 Posts
Hi! You've already got some great advice. Only thing I have to add is only bring in pieces that you love. Get that bed & slowly add. Having a few pieces that you love mean a lot more than things you just threw together & believe me you will have all that stuff for a long time so take your time.;)
Take this with a grain of salt from a woman who had many pieces that she hated just because they were "functional" Hey, the minimalist look is in, I say go for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.