Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning from Upstate NY. I'm not a pro, just seeking some advice as I try and duplicate some vintage candy I remember from my childhood .... Ever hear of Delson's MerriMints? Well I used to love them and they always appeared at my Grandmother's house on special occasions and seemed to be regarded as very very special. They are a relatively simple seeming melt in the mouth disc that were flavored with peppermint, wintergreen, lemon, and orange and when you too a bit of this approximately 1/4 disc it just seemed to disappear in your mouth. They were in a narrow, light cardboard rectangular box with a clear window and usually contained 4 different pastel colors, pink, green, pale yellow and pale orange, stacked on their sides.

I have found that they can still be special ordered from a select few candy makers, but I've wanted to try and make them at home myself since I'm not retired and have time to fuss. I was able to get in a thread somewhere (I'm relatively internet illiterate) that its 2 cups of grandulated sugar, 1 cup of water, 2 tbs. of corn syrup or 1/8 tsp. cream of tarter, brought to 238 degrees with no stirring, then poured onto a platter to cool to lukewarm, then knead to smooth, seal in air-tight and refrigerate overnight, then divide in desired portions, reheat and add flavoring and color as desired to each separate portion, drop by teaspoon onto parchment, allow to dry, flip over and allow back to dry, and your done. Soooooo, I gave it a whirl -- well, I am having trouble getting it to melt back up in a double boiler to become the liquid state so it can be flavored and tinted and poured into individual discs. My first impression was that cooking it to 238 might be just a bit high and I needed to wrestle it from its original cooling platter and it seemed to just be dry and hard. Any hints? Has anyone else tried this and would be willing to share how they succeeded. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give this old novice candy man. TJ

·
Super Moderator
1,977 Posts
no advice, the one time I tried to make fudge it came out liquid, lol. But I also loved Merrimints, they were THE treat when I was a kid. I always planned on buying a box all for myself when I grew up. Of course, they stopped making them by then.

Welcome to FV!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts