Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much responsibility do your children take for their pets?
We have 6 cats right now. I have 2 Dh has 1 and ds has the other 3. 4 of them are outside. The only 2 inside are ds's.
We have one of those electric littermaid boxes. It seemed to work ok for the first month. We had all 6 cats inside. Then we discovered gmas cats would use the box BUT they would also use any clothes they found on the floor. (YUCK!!!) So out side they went.
Then the 2 boys started irritating me (I really am not a cat person. The only reason I keep gmas is because I miss her) So they went out side too (by irritating me I mean things like launching from the ground and sinking claws into my shoulder to keep their balance! Just so you know I do not move cats out for being noisy!)
Now the 2 inside use the box but ds never cleans it, I endup doing it and man do they make a mess. The way I see it, its just his cats inside, he needs to clean it. (he is 15 and not a small child otherwise I would not make him do it) I end up with all the cat maintainance.
So I am really tempted to move the box into Ds room and keep his room closed off, the cats rarely come out of there anyway and he can feed them in there.
Maybe I am just in a witchy mood, but if it was up to me, I would give away all the cats but gmas, and I would ask dhs mom if she still wanted 1 of them.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
My kids were never good to take care of their own animals either Mel. I had to do it or it didn't get done. AND when they left for college naturally the animals stayed behind and you know who still did it all. Have you seen the movie My Dog Skip? Well that reminded me soooooo much of ds's dog. Anyway, hugs, I feel your pain. Sorry I'm no help :(

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Sis, for most kids they don't take care of their pets. Its a part of life I think!!

Dd loves her cat here, but she never cleans the litter box out either. I do. She does feed and water her though. I guess its just a part of being a mom.

Hope you can work everything out so that you are happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
We have several indoor pets some are DD's some are Dh's and some are mine. I do all the vet stuff, Dh cleans the litter box as I didn't want any indoor cats and he did, we take turns "helping " Dd clean the guinna pig cage. I do, do most of the work though. I don't mind too much as I truely love animals. Dd is only 8 btw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts