Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about wild rabbits? DH and I were out this morning walking our dogs. Our beagle is a major rabbit & squirrel hunter. Anyway, we get back from our walk and ready to go into the house when the beagle starts pulling DH over to a bush next to the patio. He starts sniffing around, sticking his head to the ground and the next thing you know he comes up with a baby rabbit....the head sticking out of his mouth. The poor thing was wiggling like crazy and after a second or two let out a squeal which scared my dog who in turn, dropped the bunny. The bunny ran for cover to the corner of the patio. His squeal must have alerted his siblings because 2-3 came out of the nest and scattered in different directions around the patio. We got my dog inside but he's been barking, baying and whining non-stop. I don't know what to do. Will the mother come back for them? Move them? Will the babies just leave on their own? I sure don't want my dog to get ahold of anymore of them.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Holy cow that would have freaked me out. We have a beagle too. I wold call the humane society or the department of wildlife/fish and game in your area and ask.

·
27,948 Posts
:yeah:
Wow how wierd, I just had my lunch out on the patio & was finishing up a book I've been reading called Watership Down. It's a classic book about adventurous rabbits and their quest for a peaceful home. Came here & this is the first post I see. The rabbits did find what they were looking for.;) Hope this story ends well too.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Leave them alone. Hopefully they will return to the nest or be found by the mom. Everything I've read about wild rabbits says it is very rare for one to survive in captivity. They are very different from our domesticated breeds.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Just let them alone and they will go back to the den and mother.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sad update......DH had to take the dogs out for their afternoon walk. One of the babies was right outside the door to the side of the patio and our beagle spotted it right away and pounced on it. DH and I tried our best to get him to let go, but he wouldn't. The poor bunny was squealing and we could hear the crunching of bones. I was sick to my stomach and in tears. My dog wouldn't let go of it until it was dead. I have never heard a rabbit cry and I hope I never do again. It looks like the other two bunnies have taken off somewhere. What an awful afternoon :(

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You have a beagle and thats second nature to them. They are a rabbit dog. He did what he was bred to do.
Sorry you had to hear it. It is a sad thing to happen. (((((Hugs )))))

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Aww, poor bunny. :( I'm sorry you had to hear that. I know what a rabbit squeal is like -- it is like a baby crying. It's heartbreaking. Your beagle was just doing what he does naturally, but it's sad for the poor bunny. Have you called the Humane Society about the other two? I would, just in case they're still hanging around. Your poor beagle might still be looking for them, and with a nose like he has, he may just hunt them down when you're not there.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Aww Joy, I'm sorry that happened! :hugz: I would have been in tears too. I was just telling my daughter today how my dog killed my hamster when I was a kid. I didn't know any better and was holding my beloved hamster and my dachshund leaped up and grabbed it in his mouth and killed it. My dad beat our poor dog with a broom, which I understand now was totally wrong. He was only doing what was innate to him. Hoping the other bunnies hopped far, far away!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well if your worried your dog might kill them I would call the local humane society otherwise if you feel he wouldnt harm them I would just leave them be, they will either go back to their den or the momma will come for them. Let us know how things turn out!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ohhhh, that's so sad. I'm sorry you had to witness that. :( I know one time my Shepherd found a baby bird and was having great fun tossing it in the air and catching it in her mouth. Then I called her over and she dropped it in my hand - still alive! She was only about 6 months old at the time, so I know if she'd been older she would have killed it. There's got to be some wildlife rehabilitators in your area, maybe they would know what to do with it. Or starting with the humane society is also a good idea. If those don't help, try the Dept of Fish & Wildlife (or whatever it's called in your state).

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have had to deal w/ this before. They will be around for about 4-5 weeks untill thay are big enough and they will be bouncing and running arount in the yard for a bit and then the will probably scatter. They don't like staying in areas that are too busy or have other creatures (such as dogs). Maybe keep you pup on a leash for awhile when he needs to go out. If you can wait for a while, they will bounce off to new homes after a bit.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If the bunnies are out in plain sight and are hopping around, they are at least 2-3 weeks of age. Baby bunnies can survive without their mother when they are 3 weeks old.If the mom isn't around, they will do fine if they are left alone. Sorry to hear about what your dog did...I've had that happen about twice in all the years that I have been raising rabbits.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Our dog brought up a baby rabbit to the house years ago. He was very gentle with it and dropped it at my feet. I went to our vet to see what to do and she gave me a small baby bottle and I bottle fed this little bunny and as soon as it was stonger enough I returned it to the wild. I was attached to this bunny but I knew it was wrong to keep a wild rabbit. I hope he did well. Hopefully the momma will come back and get the babies, but try not to touch them or she will reject them. We didn't have a choice with our bunnies. We had no idea where the dog found it. Good luck...Blessings..Kathy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts