Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons got black jeans for school and they have this HORRIBLE smell that I can not figure out how to get rid of!!!:yucky: Levi starts with the smell but it washes away after the first wash. These jeans have been washed several times and the smell is still there! :yucky::yucky:Any idea how to get rid of this terrible smell??

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Hmm. Sounds like they are fire retardant jeans. I had to have those when I was in the Navy - course we called them Dungarees. The stink eventually went away but only after they'd been washed about 2 dozen times.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wash in soap rather than detergent. Then hold your nose and give it a good ironing. For some reason the iron always helps my clothes with the "factory stink".

Reactions: mom23boyz

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have black dishtowels that smell just like what you described, so I think it's the dye, not chemical fire retardants. I've had the same problem with black or dark navy yarn.

I thought I should do a soak in Borax and water to see if that would help, so that's my suggestion....

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Powders for dark clothing items is a huge no no for me. I don't know why but every time I've tried to use powdered detergent on a load of darks...somehow the powder manages to 'cling' to the fabric and its hard to wash out. It was almost as if I had a powder stain (bleach stain) Since then I have switched to liquid detergent.

If you do go the baking soda route - I'd suggest that you dilute a high amount in a mug of hot water and dissolve really well before adding to wash water so you don't go through what I have in the past.

Have you tried washing with more then your usual amount of laundry detergent? And then use a downey ball full of vinegar in the rinse plus stopping the rinse cycle and pouring in a lot of vinegar and letting it sit for a bit then let it continue on?

Good luck, let us know what did the trick. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would also soak them in oxy-clean for a while before putting them in the wash with more oxy-clean, detergent and a vinegar rinse.

This is the path I use for hidden rags & dog bedding.

Reactions: mom23boyz

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
:idea: I'd go for a vinegar soak, then hang them out to dry. Remember too that the sun breaks down odors naturally. Hope you find the right thing. Sounds frustrating!

Theresa :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts