Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some frozen bread dough (due to time and health reason:ache:) and it started to thaw in the freezer I have taken it out and placed in bread pans does any one know if it will rise so that I can bake it or is it ruined, I am so mad :furious:right now I was going to make bread but have not had time and with taking care of grand daughter I have been dealing with my health issues, so now I am mad at myself for one not just making it myself and to for not taking the bread out earlier this week when I should have so does anyone have any suggestions or help or know if the bread will rise.... sorry about the rant just really upset right now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't still rise. Every frozen bread I've dealt with said to thaw on the counter and it'll rise. Don't feel bad for not making your own either. After the free $10 from Schwans I seen in the catalog they sell 3 loaves for 4.99, that will be my next purchase from them!

Why was it thawing in the freezer though? I'd have that checked out!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I would sure give it a try before I tossed it......worst that could happen.....you are out some time and elec. But you might have some warm bread to eat...........YUM!

·
2,688 Posts
It should be okay.
Let us know how you make out with it :)

Was this the only thing that thawed out ?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words, I am trying to let it rise and it seems to be, my DS put it on the bottom of the freezer and not the top 2 shelves it seems that the bottom does not freeze as well it is an old freezer I keep hoping it won't just quit on me I bought the bread also because my DH grandma used to make it, that was her secret bread recipe I am just hoping by tonight I can bake it, its 106 here today and my ac can't keep up so it is warm were I have it so it should rise, keeping fingers crossed, at least the kids will more then likely eat it. they will eat anything lol... thanks again for the nice words made me feel better

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update:::: It worked the bread rose like it was supposed and taste great:fdance:I now have 10 loaves to deal with but that's okay I will freeze what I need to DD took one to church tonight I ran out of bread pans so I used round pans so we will see how those bake up. but so far everything went great I am so relived that they rose and came out tasting great. just like home made.:relieved: So all is well thanks for the encouragement and I never thought about making fry bread, if I was thinking this afternoon I would have rolled on out and made Cinnamon rolls oh well now I know what to do if it happens again. but thank you all again.

·
2,688 Posts
Good job :)

I think you can also roll the bread dough out, and then cut out doughnuts and fry them up .

Keep an eye on the freezer.
Years ago, we had one that had problems similiar. Stuff on the bottom shelf defrosted and stuff on the top shelf was just fine. Only maybe a few months old. Took it back to the store where we bought it, and got a different one. I had not opened it in about a week, so I had one nasty surprise when I did open it. It sounded normal running. I had no clue it done got stupid.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am so glad it worked for you! :clap:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freezer is very old so just have to keep checking it. great ideas now if it happens again I know different things to do. thanks for all the helpful and kind words they meant allot to me

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
you can roll out small pieces and deep fry and make elephant ears like you get at the fair. Sprinkle with a little cinniamon and sugar..Good

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If your freezer isn't keeping a temperature of 0°F or colder, then you have a bigger problem. Thawing and refreezing can promote bacteria growth and can alter the texture of foods. You may also find different areas in your freezer that are colder than others. If your freezer won't keep a container of ice cream "brick hard", then you may need to have it serviced.

Place an ice cube in a zip-lock bag and place it in the freeze to check to see if the temperature is going high enough to thaw foods. If the freezer gets warm enough to melt the ice cube, you'll be able to see that in the zip-lock bag, even if it refreezes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the advice grainlady DH checked freezer it keeps everything frozen except on the bottom were you drain it when you defrost it I also think since its on the back porch (no heat or ac) that when it gets to hot it just can't keep up with keeping the bottom that cold. we have had ice back there and it keeps it frozen so I don't know what happened this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts