Frugal Village Forums banner

HELP - DD turned into a Teen Overnight!

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  cjmobxnc 
#1 ·
DD started Middle school yesterday and she is already acting like a teen!

She doesn't want breakfast! She needs to eat to keep her blood sugar level or she gets REALLY MOODY more than than a teen - lol

I need some Quick on the go Breakfast Ideas she can eat in the car on the way to school. I have already tried:

1 - yogurt w/fruit and a piece of bacon - she feed the dog the bacon on the way out the door and only 1/4 of the fruit

2-Tried toast with cinn and sugar - nope no go saw her throw that one in the trash.

She tells me she just isn't hungry - I would believe her but she has ALWAYS been a BIG EATER!

Give me those idea's people.... either that or please switch places with me until she's out of High School! (j/k)

#3 ·
I would try to get to the root of the problem of 'not being hungry'. Is she having body issues lately? Has some butt nugget made a mean comment to her?

I'd tell her breakfast isn't an option-she's going to eat it. She can make suggestions as to what she wants. I'd also find a way to nip the throwing the food in the trash or feeding it to the dog habit in the bud. Food is way to expensive for that to happen.

#13 ·
I'd tell her breakfast isn't an option-she's going to eat it.
I sincerely disagree with this method. From my experience it will only lead to control issues, possibly bulimia if she decides to eat it and throw it up when she gets to school. (speaking from experience) you can make someone do something at the moment, you can't control them once they are out of your sight.

I suggest communication, offers of other food, offers of food to take on-the-go if she gets hungry later, but not attempts to control her. If she starts dropping weight, head to the doctor.

Hugs, this stuff isn't fun!

#4 ·
Bless Your Heart!
I am glad it is you and not me. Already had my turn.

Reactions: mh3rdwheel and KimZ
#5 ·
Is she having some transition issues and feeling like she needs to lose weight? Are her eating habits 'normal' at the other meals? Is this more of "control" issue in new surroundings?

#6 ·
Yup.. i have one of those..

she is 10 and going into 5th grade...however she hs been this way for a while...wans everything her own way and if not...wah!!!!!!..She is the youngest...but i finally got to a point that i was not going to let her ruin my day..You need to scream and cry...sure go to your room...I am not going to listen to it...blah blah...things are getting better slowly......however with the eating part..I think alot of it has to do with other kids....your daughter may think she needs to lose a little bit of weight and this is her way of dealing with it...you can sit her down and tell her there is a good way of doing that and figure out a plan together.....one that will work for both of you....My daughter is the same way she has to eat all of the time...she is a grazer to keep her blood sugars level because if she doesnt she gets shaky and dizzy...and let me tell you picking a 9 year old up at school gets pretty tiring and my arms won't take it anymore....we are lucky though....she loves her veggies and fruits and is not a candy eater....God bless and hope things get better for you and her both...

Reactions: KimZ
#7 · (Edited)
Yah weight isn't an issue........ she's a level 7 gymnast and built like well a brick house........ this is her

Victory sweet for Twisters | The News-Press | news-press.com

I'm not sure if it's because she started TOM or being at a NEW middle school....... Ukkkkk

She's NEVER been a difficult child and eating has NEVER BEEN an issue for her....

Maybe it is TOM come to think of it.... the not eating starts a few days to a week before she starts... Anyone else have this issue???? I know I am the opposite! I eat EVERYTHING

(are you sure someone doesn't want to switch for a while - lololol)

#21 ·
Maybe it is TOM come to think of it.... the not eating starts a few days to a week before she starts... Anyone else have this issue???? I know I am the opposite! I eat EVERYTHING

Kim, when my DD starts to get around her TOM, she is always not hungry when she first gets up. Says it makes her feel nauseous - and she's 22! Maybe one of them carnation breakfast shakes might help.

#8 ·
I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day but if her eating habits and appetite are normal for lunch and dinner then I'd not worry. Maybe pack some easily portable snacks so she can eat when she's ready later on in the morning?

Apples, hm granola bars/breakfast bars, fruit leathers, fruit cups, apple sauce cups, healthy versions of muffins etc along with a bottle of water.

I also agree with finding out why she doesn't want to eat breakky at home, even if its something small. Maybe she's met up with a new friend and they have breakky together? Does she have her own $ to buy something, is she able to go out and buy something before school starts? Is there a breakky program offered at her school? Maybe her friend is bringing something to share for the both of them?

Just have patience....you WILL get through this :)

#9 ·
Being a gymnast she is a brick house and this means being built differently then most girls. Stronger thicker muscles.

Did they have a weigh in in PE? Here that is one of the first things at is done. Then they tell you were you are on the height for weight scale. Being very muscular would though her up the scale they do not take into account the quality of muscle and the girls at school might have shared weights and compared. Being more muscle she would have weight more than some one else that looked like her. The girls might have made comments.

I remember being a gymnast and thinking I needed to lose weight because my weight was higher on the scale than my height because I was so muscular. I also remember other girls saying I was fat because my thighs were big. They were big because of muscle if you used the callaper that measures fat you couldn't get any. Still did not change the fact that what other girls said hurt.

So ever though she is fit and not needing to lose weight she might not feel that way. KWIM

Reactions: KimZ
#11 ·
My won't eat, too skinny 17 yo will eat a piece of pizza. I bake a frozen one, he eats a piece and I haggis the others for during the week. Not parfect but it's food with some veggie and protein.

#12 ·
i never ate breakfast as a teen to this day i cannot eat within the first hour of waking up it nauseates me and ruins the whole day i run low blood sugars my whole life but interestingly i didnt from not eating breakfast - i tend to run down quick after big meals.

my one daughter was the same way- so i would always have fruit and granola bars or worse case rice krispy treat some amazing breakfast bars i get when i get a deal

there was no way now or as a teen i was getting up an hour earlier than i needed so i could eat a meal
drove my mom nuts but i had good grades passed HS and nursing school just fine never eating a real breakfast

#18 ·
You could cut up some apples and put in a bag for her to take to school. That way if she gets hungry she can eat them in between class. My favorite was toast and a slice of cheese. How about a fruit smoothie?

Even though she is a gymnast and in great condition, weight can still be an issue.

I never ate breakfast in my twenties. I asked my doctor about it and he said don't worry about it. Just eat when you are hungry.

#19 ·
I'd see if a smoothie would work. I cannot eat when I first get up and tend to like something other that traditional breakfast food.

If she is having to get up earlier than last year or school starts earlier this may throw her off and she truly isn't hungry when she is headed out the door. I do agree with McD though........in that throwing out food isn't a good answer nor feeding the dog. Food is just too expensive.

I'd also wonder if she had a run in with some one and just doesn't want to tell you and she is just kind of to knotted up in the morning to eat. I guess if it were me I would ask when she thinks will work to at least have something in the morning if possible and if she flat out refuses then I'd probably let her go with her own instinct for a while and see what happens.

#20 ·
DD started Middle school yesterday and she is already acting like a teen!

She doesn't want breakfast! She needs to eat to keep her blood sugar level or she gets REALLY MOODY more than than a teen - lol
Give me those idea's people.... either that or please switch places with me until she's out of High School! (j/k)

HA! And you thought it was all good and easy after she got potty trained! SURPRISE!!! LOL! :animated:

But hang in there KimZ! This too will pass, and oddly enough be among the times that will be missed. Crazy, isn't it? But that's a mom for you.

Hugs!

Theresa :)

btw, i love the smoothie idea. even if she can't eat, she'll pack in plenty of nutrition with it. and you don't HAVE to be hungry to manage to drink something, kwim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.