Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started about end of Feb. He got dry skin at the back of his knees and he kept picking and scratching until he got open sores on the back of his knees. A friend of mine put liquid bandage on them- it scabbed over until he picked off the scab and reopened it. This has been going on since then (2 months now). I've been putting on Neosporin, liquid bandage, wrapped them in gauze pads (which he just rips off), put on tight sweats so he can't pull up the legs. Every time it's almost heals to the point I don't need to put anything on, he picks at it again. He's 2 years old and I don't know what else to do short of tying his hands behind his back (I've been trying to keep his nails as short as possible). Unfortunately, I can't hover over him 24 hrs a day so I can smack him when he does pick. It won't suprise me if he ends up with scars. Any suggestions?? TIA!

Laura

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Ours picks constantly-part of his disability-if its the back of the knees try putting something like a blanket sleeper on him, so there is little chance of him getting to them. Something with feet on it so he would have to completely undress to get to it. For a while I had to put sleepers on him backwards so he couldn't get out of it. Good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Laura,

Make sure your son does not have a fungal skin infection. My son was 6 months when he had dry skin on his leg. He would rub it against the crib in his sleep until it was bleeding. He wore socks and shoes most of the to keep him from scratching it. My son's pediatricians (group) kept telling me "It's eczema, try this, try that." I have a drawerful of useless, wrongly prescribed ointments. I took him to the allergist for a different reason, this doc took one look at him and diagnosed it as a fungal infection. The skin problem was resolved in 3 days. My poor kid had to live with it the itching and bleeding, cracked skin for a year.
Take your kid to the doctor. Ask them for samples of whatever they prescribe because that's usually all you need. Ask them if it could be a fungal infection. If they get a blank look on their face, ask for 2 different samples, one for eczema and one for fungal infections.

Keilley

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I think Pediatricians are only good for well visits. Take your son to the Derm or at the very least, your regular family physician. I found the peds won't treat, or misdiagnose. My DD2 was sick for nearly a year when she was a baby, I took her to the family doc, and she was diagnosed with asthma.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've learned pediatricians are useless, so when we moved, I found a family physician, so the 3 of us has the same dr.

Since I originally posted, I taped up his knees with rolled gauze and now have them about 95% healed (it's still a little red). I've been giving him baths in baby oil and slathering him in lotion to help with the dryness. I need to bring him for his 3 year check up over the summer, so if we can keep it healed, I will mention it to them then- especially if it's still dried out and blothcy. I never thought it could be something fungal, so I will ask about it. Thanks gals!!

Laura

1 - 5 of 5 Posts