Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I would like to hear all the wonderful tips and tricks you have for a frugal thanksgiving including reciepes, decorations...anything...thanks!

Melina

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Start saving a variety of breads in your freezer to make stuffing... a variety is better, this is a good thing to make with those heels no one ever wants to eat......
That will save you about $2.00 on stuffing.....
Let's watch the total rise with each new idea ladies......

·
27,948 Posts
Have Thanksgiving be a joint effort. You supply the place to have it and the turkey. Have other friends & family bring their specialty. make sure you know what everyone is bringing so you do not have duplicates.

Don't forget that a crockpot or 2 is great at keeping some dishes warm.:)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Everyone pitching in to bring something is a great idea. You can have differnt people bring salad or rolls or dessert or beverages, etc. That reminds me, I need to call dmil and see what I get to bring this year, that way I can start watching for specials on the needed ingredients if I don't already have them in my pantry.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Fall leaves scattered on the table and using pinecones laid one their sides with little name cards would be free decorations for the table. Also, watch for coupons and deals on the items you will use, start now and build up. As for me, many times, the coupons and sales dictate what I serve. I had a party for my Daughter this summer on a shoestring like this. Everyone's input altogether made for a wonderful day. I hope yours will be too. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I noticed in the sale flyers that came out today that they grocery stores around here are starting to run their "holiday food" specials. Some things were a good deal, but others I have gotten cheaper even just a few weeks ago, so it pays to know your prices. Except for fresh ingredients, you can start buying things now already if they are a great deal.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
TNT way to save time and energy on your Thanksgiving Meal

We've done this several times lately and even though I'm not having the huge crowd for Thanksgiving this year I'm still going to in order to make my day even more enjoyable. I'm going to go ahead and cook my turkey (breast, we all love white meat) this week. After I do that I'll slice it, put it in a ziplock freezer bag and pour a can of chicken stock over it and freeze it. Then, thaw it out the day before Thanksgiving, re-heat and voilla'! It's so tender and tasty when you do it this way. I always get compliments on how good my turkey is. Sure beats having to slice and clean up the cooking mess on the day of, when you have so much other stuff to do. ;)

·
27,948 Posts
Love that ticker Lisa!!!!:thumb:
Neat idea. Only tip I have is I try to make as much ahead so you can enjoy your guests.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That is a great idea!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I like your idea of cooking the turkey ahead of time!
We have a roasting pan that we cook our turkey in, it frees up the oven for other things on the big day. Whatever I can make the day before I try to get done, pies. salads, etc. Also my mom cooks some of the food so it is not all on one of us. That is the biggest help of all. So are Rhodes Rolls...frozen, then thawed & redy to ake at dinner time.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I saved that link to check that out!
That looks like some good reading!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Lisa,

I've done this with my leftover turkey the day after Thanksgiving, but never thought about doing it maybe a day or two before. Duh!......Whats the difference, and you are right, the turkey is sinfully moist and juicy. :hungry: Thanks for rattling my brain, I think I got rocks in my noggin sometimes.

And oh, by the way, I checked out the Rocks in my Dryer site and put it in my favorites to read later. Looks wonderful! Thanks Early Bird :smball:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
thanksgiving tips?

With Thanksgiving coming around, how about we share some Thanksgiving tips?

I'll start. Don't use a disposable pan for heavy turkeys. (above 20 lbs) Ask me how I know. haha

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I premake all my stuffing. I make a sausage stuffing. Then I double bag them and put in the freezer. When I am ready I pop one in a pan. Or I thaw it out and mine like it fried in a pan. The kids all love that.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My tip.....don't do Thanksgiving. LOL Seriously, I stopped doing it years ago, and I'm much happier. I usually cook myself a small cornish hen, and whatever else I want with it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i go to familys house and we all bring something. kinda like a potluck. works out great this way. i have none of the stress. except being around family.

·
27,948 Posts
Plan ahead and make dishes you can make ahead. Holidays are less stressfull if you have a plan and know that your part is do-able & no fuss.

Remember that it's never storybook perfect. It's your family with all their charm, madness & quirks.
To be continued...:)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Along with Darlene's plan ahead/make ahead plan...

I always cook my turkey ahead of time (like up to a month ahead). I cook it, slice it up, place it in a ziplock bag or 3, however many it takes and add a can of chicken stock to it. Freeze it. On the the day before I get it out, thaw it out and the morning of put it in the deep dish that I'll be serving it in and re-heat it. The chicken stock keeps it so moist and it tastes like it's just been carved. Everyone always raves about my turkey and this makes my day much easier b/c I prepare all the foods for the meal due to family coming from afar to eat. :D This year I'll also be doing the dressing ahead and freezing it and anything else I can think of will be done ahead.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Put your best smile on.

Try not to get carried away with everything. If your house isn't perfect let it go. Don't try to make a thousand dishes if you don't have the time. Get enough sleep for the big day.

My mother would clean every drawer, wall, floor, crack and crevice. When that was done she would make a huge menu which included 12 home baked pies. Needless to say I remember one Thanksgiving where she actually fell asleep at the table in the middle of dinner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts