Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went on vacation for 10 days and now we're back the house reeks of cat. I have changed the litter and sprayed "air freshener" to no avail. I can't open the windows because it is incredibly humid out, and the heat and damp will just make it worse.

I need something that will get this stench out of here quickly, as we are having dinner guests in 2 days. AND... I am in a leg brace and quite limited in how much walking and standing I can do (getting down on the floor is out of the question) to get things cleaned.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Did the cats actually pee somewhere in the house? If you don't know...get a black light and check. If it's bad and you are unable to do deep cleaning, you may have to bite the bullet and have the floors professionally cleaned. That smell won't go away on it's own.....

·
Registered
867 Posts
They make enzyme urine smell sprays. We get ours at the pet store for our dogs (they come in dog and cat "flavors"). The kind we use has a gray bottle. Don't remember the name though. Around $10 or $20 for a spray bottle - stuff works great for our dogs - especially the really stinky used-to-be-male dribbler.

Actually, I think for closer to $20 you can get a kit that has the UV lamp and a small spray bottle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not sure how strong your cat smell is - is it more like 'a cat lives here' or 'a cat marked the entire house as its territory' type smell?

Can you place several bowls of vinegar around the room? Steam clean the carpet/furniture or pay to have someone do it? I know there's this Amazon.com: North American NA221 Pure Citrus Lemon Air Freshener - 7 fl. oz.: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41faLgThYDL and its always had wonderful reviews....I may even go check it out myself. I think you spray it on the filter of your AC so it blows through the house - not sure if thats safe though :( Have you turned on the fan/vent of your heater unit to circulate/filter the air as well?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I would try the vinegar, place several bowls or cups around he house, change them daily. I have also been told that you can wet a towel, rag with vinegar and swing it around to freshen the air. I tried it once with a strong onion and it worked.

Baking soda sprinkled on the carpet and then vaccumed up might help your carpet.

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
The vet recommended Odoban to us for pet smells and when our dogs get skunked. It is under 13 bucks for a gallon at Sams Club. You do dilute it so it lasts ages. I knew it was awesome stuff when the vet sprayed our skunked dogs with it!

OdoBan - OdoBan® Concentrate

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think they got on the carpet, it's concentrated in the kitchen/ dining room where their box was. It's a "two cats live here and the box wasn't changed for a week" smell.... just lingering.

I think I will change the table linens, they may be holding odor, and get liberal with the baking soda. And get DH to run the vacuum after. That lemon freshener sounds great, will have to get some for next time. Meanwhile, I wonder if any of my essential oils will help out...

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Um you said kitchen/dining room? Boil/simmer some citrus peels with a cinnamon stick? (think mini crockpot with potpourri in it?) Hopefully that should slowly seep through the house and overpower the 'cat that lives here' smell.

I hope you get the smell out in time! Please let us know what worked.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have also had good luck with Natures Miracle. It is in a red and white bottle that you can get at PetSmart. May want to wipe down the floor and possibly wall with it.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I gave up on the air fresheners a long time ago. Vinegar is ok. BUT I got a honeywell canister air purifier. The filter is lifetime. You clean it by rinsing. A light comes on when it's time. I spent about $130. on it but I would have several (1 for each floor),
I just run it before and light a candle for guests during visits. This filter get MIRCO allergens out of the air.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i definitely say pour baking soda around the area of the litter box and let it sit then vacuum.

febreeze the rooms also

maybe you can open windows at night? or is it too humid then also?

good luck

·
Registered
669 Posts
Odor Mute is the product I used when we had a similar problem. I would go to a pet supply store and ask for help there. I think that given your time constraints, you would be better off with a professional product. We put it in spray bottles that we carried with us, and sprayed the heck out of anything that had a whiff of odor. Really worked well. This was in DC in the summer.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Since it appears that it is a lingering smell instead of a marked smell, I'd get a spray bottle and put some diluted vinegar in there and spray around. I also like Totally Toddler. It is an enzyme spray for baby rooms. It is made by one of the companies that makes one of the pet sprays. What I like about it is that it doesn't have an "institutional" smell like the pet sprays that says "I'm trying to cover up a pet smell". It has more of a baby powder smell and doesn't "announce" what you are trying to do. I would just spray it around in the area and in any areas where the smell may be concentrated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts