Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 beautiful ham bones from Xmas....I tried using them a few yrs back but the soup wasn't a big hit with the family. What do you do beside split pea soup?
I am trying to get by a few more days on pantry stock(not much in there)
Anything with rice or potatoes? Crockpot or pan?
TIA

·
Registered
379 Posts
I make a bean soup with navy beans.

Boil the beans until they split.
rinse..and change water.
Add diced onions and celery and ham bone with beans in a stock pot. There should be enough water to cover ham bone. Simmer 2hours. remove bone and cool off. remove meat, add back into soup. Skim off fat..and add in some brown sugar. about 1/4 cup.
the trick is too cook it long enough to thicken..and you might need to add a little water to make sure beans are cooked. This is better the next day.
Hope this helps,
BTW I don't like split pea soup either.

Reactions: mom23boyz

·
Registered
867 Posts
I soak some white beans overnight.

In the morning I put the beans in the crockpot with just enough water to cover them. Add a diced onion and some garlic with the ham bone (of course there is some meat on it)

I cook it until the beans are soft and the meat falls off the bone. Remove the bone and season if necessary.

DH will eat this for 2-3 days!

·
Registered
10,978 Posts
I used mine with black beans. 1 or 2 cans of beans, a small can of chopped tomato, some onion, celery, a little cumin or mexican seasoning blend. Add in chunks of ham. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the beans are soft. You can puree it for soup, too. Add a splash of vinegar and a spoon of sour cream to each bowl.

You probably could just cook the rice using the ham stock instead of water.

Reactions: mom23boyz

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put my hambone in the crock pot with potatoes and greeen beans. At the end I add a little cornstarch and water mix to thicken it. My family loves this.
Do you start with any liquid? Do you just put the ham bone, some potatoes and green beans and at the end end the water and cornstarch? Sorry to bug:congrats:
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'd make slow cooker lentil soup, love those hambones!

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

1 pound dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) beef broth
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
4 cups water
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-9 hours or high heat for 3-5 hours or until lentils are tender. Stir well before serving. 8 servings.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I cook the ham bone and onion and let it set in the ref over night and take the fat off..Then I add soaked navy beans more onion, garlic, and carrotts..I also have used 15 bean and add a package of frozen tomato pieces to it too..Great on a cold winter day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use hambones to make vegetable soup. I just cook the bones until all the meat falls of and remove the bones. Then I add tomatoes with juice, any vegetables I have on hand, potatoes or rice, fresh cabbage, etc. and cook it at a low simmer. I keep a gallon bag in the freezer and add leftover vegetables and even roasted potatoes to it. Then I use that in the soup so it helps prevent waste from those small bits of leftovers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The last time I had something similar, I cooked it really slowly and used the meat in two ways. I used about a third of the meat in a ham and vegetable soup with broth mix (lentils, split peas, chick peas and barley) along with the majority of the cooking liquid - which made about 8 portions. I used the rest of the meat in a chicken and ham pie which gave 4 generous portions. The rest of the cooking liquid I used to make a gorgeous ham and mushroom risotto using the ham stock for flavouring and some dried wild mushrooms which I was given in a Christmas hamper.

All from a £1.70 gammon shank. :)

KB xx

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for this great thread - I have a ham bone to use this weekend!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I soak northern white beans overnight. Next morning I put my ham bone in water and boil a couple of hours.
Then I remove the bone to a platter and let cool. While the bone is cooling I divide the broth up into 2 containers.
I remove all the meat from the bone and divide in half putting each half of ham pieces in with each broth.
I put 1 broth/ham back in the pot with a chopped med onion, minced garlic clove and a couple of carrots chopped (or if fussy spouse can put all in blender with water then by the time you are done cooking the beans you won't be able to spot the carrots). I salt and pepper along the way as they cook until soft and broth is thick, usally 3-4 hrs. Make sure you stir a lot so don't stick.
That other broth/ham container, freeze it. Then next time your in the mood for beans you don't need a bone just pull out your container of broth.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I would make broth from it for soup bases. Everyone has listed bean soups with ham broth but what about chicken soup with pork stock? Extra flavourful ;) Shredded chicken and veggies in a pork broth - mmm!

What about using the broth to try your hand at making Vietnamese noodle soup - pho. Rachael Ray Show - Food - Phunky BBQ Pho With Pork

And lastly - use the broth to cook rice vs regular water. Adds flavour :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.