Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
uggghhh I jynxed myself. Son found one on her today and I just found another. She is now banned from all furniture and must stay in the living room in her dog bed. It isn't even 2 weeks for the frontline!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Leela, if the environment has a lot of fleas, you are still going to see some. It would be a good idea if you could get your house and yard treated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ugh. After a week or so of suspicion and denial, I finally had to face this morning that my two indoor cats have contracted a flea problem. I am not happy. They are getting older and we've looked for ways to get rid of them for awhile now with no success.

It's a tiny apartment. For right now, the battle plan will be a daily bath, vacuuming and frequent washing of linens (can't keep the boogers off the bed). Wife is calling the vet for an appointment, and I'm researching options. Right now, I'm suspecting a basic flea application for them and a carpet treatment for the rest of the house. This is early enough it shouldn't be too hard to destroy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use a flea pill from the vet for our 2 inside dogs. They are small dogs. It is Confortis (spinosad) it can be used on puppies 14 weeks of age up to older dogs. It is excellent. One pill cost 15.00 but you can buy the pill for larger dogs and split it up. The one I bought this time was 17.00 but it will last for 3 mths per dog. Also you can sit a pan of water under a night light and the flea's will jump in. You can tell how bad the flea prob is. I've used in the past the spray they were talking about in other post. I've tried the borax and it didn't work for us. The spray worked great and we've not had a flea prob in a long time. Also knock out is great to spray with. you get it from the vet. TC

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had this last year... Salt your floor after you vacume let it sit overnight and vacume next day repeat.... also i used tea tree on the dogs when i bathed them and got rid of them... make sure you salt under furniture this dries the fleas and the eggs out (hours of internet searching and trial and error) worked for me

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We started using food grade DE on our cats. I got a 50 lb bag for under $20. It is working way better than Frontline.

You put the DE in an old spice container and sprinkle some out into your hand. You then pet your cat and rub the dust in. Try not to make it "puff" because DE is bad for everyone's lungs. Dust their legs and tail too.

DE is diatamaceous earth. And, I can never spell "diatamaceous" correctly. I can spell "DE".

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have them too now. Dogs went to the kennel for a bath and apparently they were covered. I haven't seen any in the house so we are hoping there isn't too big of a problem yet. We are washing everything we can wash, vaccuming like crazy and renting a carpet steamer this weekend. We will also be taking some of the above advice as well.

FWIW, the kennel (where our dogs go to day care several times I week and we totally trust them) did tell us that almost every one of their clients who use frontline on their animals, indoor or out, have have had fleas this summer. I am wondering if perhaps there is a bad batch or something out there, bc we frontline them the first of every month, religiously.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We use Confortis on the boys, have for 3 years now. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My Tweety I noticed that she has fleas, she is allergic to flee medicine, we usually give her a bath with Dollar General brand dandruff shampoos, but we put baby oil in the water and this helps to kill the fleas.

Right now when I took her outside to do her business, I noticed that she is starting to loose hair on both sides, I never see fleas, but she is always biting.

We will be giving her a bath after dinner then another tomorrow. When we first got her she had hardly any hair on her rump from the fleas attacking her and her biting herself and them, we took care of that problem. Now we have to do it again.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We started using food grade DE on our cats. I got a 50 lb bag for under $20. It is working way better than Frontline.

You put the DE in an old spice container and sprinkle some out into your hand. You then pet your cat and rub the dust in. Try not to make it "puff" because DE is bad for everyone's lungs. Dust their legs and tail too.

DE is diatamaceous earth. And, I can never spell "diatamaceous" correctly. I can spell "DE".
THanks for posting this, I was wondering if it truly worked and plan to use it when I move back East, just based on this website I found about it. Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Do you put it around your house too? I heard to sprinkle it around outside of the house, baseboards, entry ways, etc. I don't want the house to be totally "dusty" but I am really not looking forward to fleas!
I've lived in a higher altitude area of Colorado, with 5 dogs, and no fleas, its been WONDERFUL. I dread dealing with them when I move. :(

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Get some Diatomatus Earth it's a powder you can get it at any health food store. It kills the fleas by ridding their body of the outer protective layer. I got some for my dog & cat got it when it was discounted! I've used it this summer on them it's very easy to apply. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I don't know if you are interested, but there is a pet food store near me and I talked to the owner about fleas because we too have not had fleas in years and my 1 dog got them. I used bio spot on the dog and the directions said to put it down their back once a month for 3 months. He said if there are more than a few fleas you need to bomb the house. He also told me to put flea powder in my vacuum cleaner bag everytime I change the bag. That way you will vacuum up the eggs and they will die.
I know nothing about cats, so ask about this info for them.
Hope this helps.
Pam

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

Where do you buy food grade de?
Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Please..Please do not put anything on them that you can buy at Walmart or similar store. Tried that years ago with my cat and almost killed her. Vet said no way to regulate dose, very dangerous to the pet. We use frontline. Sam's club has a genetic brand of Frontline at about 1/2 price. I have heard that it is the same product but would check with my vet before I used it. Saving a few bucks is not worth putting them in danger. Sorry I don't have better advise, but wanted to warn you about possible dangers out there in flea control.

·
Registered
217 Posts
my flea solution:
1 lemon sliced
1 qt boiling water
I keep a qt mason jar for this purpose, put lemon slices in jar add boiling water let steep 24 hrs- strain, put in squirt bottle-or whatever container you have handly I use a old agave nectar bottle to apply, and apply after bathing, you can do this every day until the little buggers are gone then every other day...
it sooth's the skin irritations on my dog buddy- he's an inside dog but several neighbors allow their pets to roam and they love my yard so they bring them down. took me almost 2 wks to get rid of his fleas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have three cats and we have had some pretty bad flea episodes, so bad in fact that my female cat had a recurring dermatitis on her back where they were biting her so bad she would get raw. It was really disgusting to the point that a flea comb would bring out tons of flea dirt and fleas (really gross.) Frontline definitely wasnt working. My vet told us to switch to Vectra- it is only sold by vets and the cost is about the same as frontline. Our flea problem has completely gone!!!
The vet says the Vectra makes the cats "mobile exterminating units"- any flea or egg that comes into contact with the cat's fur is dead within 30 mins.So if the cat sits on the couch, any fleas or eggs on the couch will die. You get the picture. The product is applied in a similar fashion to frontline- the main dfference is that Frontline only kills fleas that bite. Vectra kills any flea that comes into contact.
Great stuff!!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts