Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARGH! I'm hosting BUNCO this month and I don't want to blow my grocery budget. I have to make some appetizers, main dish and desert for 12 ladies. Anyone have any easy and frugal suggestions? I'd like the main dish to be something I can throw in the crockpot so I can have it cooking while I clean. Any help GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Meatballs in sauce in cp for Meatball Subs. Spaghetti--cook sauce in cp, boil noodles just before you eat, pop garlic bread into oven to heat while cooking noodles. Make deviled eggs for appetizers and have fresh fruit with carmel or chocolate dipping sauce for dessert.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
A good starter might be something like bruchetta. Get a bagette from the grocery store, chop it up, and top with a bit of red and green pepper, some onion and a little bit of cheese. Yummers!

Hmmm, what about chili for the main? If you could pick up some discount ground beef, kidney beans and tomatoes, it probably wouldn't cost a whole lot. Throw in some canned mushrooms and spices and you'd have a good meal. Plus, it can all go in the crockpot -- I'm sure someone here has a crockpot chili recipe! You could probably whip up a batch of cornbread to go with it or a salad.

For dessert, I'd have biscuits, strawberries and whipped cream and let them make their own strawberry shortcakes, and a big ol' pot of tea!

·
Registered
107 Posts
i had my dad and his wife over for lunch today and made chicken caccitore. its frugal if you use drumsticks - you just brown as many as you need (2 per person) then cook 2 large sliced onions, add 2 large cloves of garlic chopped, add a tbspn fresh chopped rosemary and a bayleaf and a large tin of chopped tomatoes, a glass of wine, a tbspn of tomato paste and a tbspn of red (or white, depends on what wine you use) wine vinegar. I've actually made it without the tomato paste and vinegar and its still lovely. bring it to the boil and reduce about ten minutes, put the chicken in and cover and cook for an hour or so. its really good, i'm always asked for the recipe when i've served this. we had it with potato gratin with cream and garlic and a green salad and a bagette. i'm sure this is crockpotable, but i don't have one so i'm not sure. oh, we had melon and grapes and some cheese for dessert. adding up all the chicken ingredients i'd say it cost me $10 max, and the chicken is expensive here.

hope your party goes well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts