Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

I've been experiencing pretty severe acne problems. Actually I've had problems with breakouts for the last few years but it's recently getting a lot worse. I just turned 41 and I feel it's hormonal related since I'm getting some other symptoms like hot flashes and such.......

Unfortunately I have no health insurance so going to a dermatologist is out. Have any older women had any experience with this and found anything helpful? I am washing my face with the same Dove soap that I've used for 20 years so I know it's not the soap. I've even stopped using makeup to be sure it's not that. I keep my face clean, but it has started getting oily all the time and I feel like I'm having to go thru the teenage stuff again. lol

Any products recommendations or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
JB...do you have a problem with redness also ? If that is the case too, check on rosacea. It is a skin condition that has these symptoms. There's no cure, but treatment is available. Usually a topical cream (Metrogel) and certain oral antibiotics.

I have this problem and joke that the ongoing acne flareups prove that I am a perpetual teenager. (I'm 44 now...lol)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'd say that if you're oily, you are just adding to it with the dove.
Try using a benzoyl peroxide product & an oil free moisturizer. According to my dermtotogist....the kind with the salicylic acid can be very drying and you skin needs to continue to use it to remain acne free. benzoyl peroxide, OTH, kills the bacteria causing it.

I use proactiv & I really like it.

Also, you can just talk to your regular doctor if you want a prescription for a cleanser.........but the prescription is pricy without insurance.

I'm 33, and I *still* get hormonal acne. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
well if it is hormonal, your chemical makeup might have changed and you need something other than dove soap. i have to change back and forth from dry skin formula to oily skin formula depending on the time of year or even the time of month. but like someone else mentioned, if youve got redness along with it could possibly be rocacea.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Jelly,

I have had acne all my life (not bad just enough to bug ya!) and I am 46.....I think the best thing I have done is that I don't use face makeup or rouge, (only eye and lips). Also I take a lot of vitamins and supplements. Make sure to drink lots of Water, (it is really good for you).

A work associate uses the Proactive and it has done wonders for them.

If it is really bad you can go to a doctor and get antibiotics but that is really expensive.

leezza

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
13,564 Posts
No advice. :hugz: It's been my experience that you're NEVER too old for acne! :(

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know that proper diet is extremely important. When my older son had some problems as a teen, I found that making salads with fresh spinach leaves helped a lot. Oatmeal seems good too. It's water soluable and seems to help to carry the bad stuff out of our bodies. Avoid chocolate, fried foods, sweets in general and eat more fruits and veggies. Also, some sunshine is good, and a swim in salt water works wonders if you are near an ocean or gulf. I've always liked using Sea Breeze a couple times a day. It's an astringent that really does seem to draw impurities to the surface of the skin and it has a good, tingly feeling. It's very cheap compared to prescription drugs. At first, you might see a few pimples pop up, but that is only because it's deep cleaning. Also, don't put your hands on your face. That seems like a no brainer, but people forget how much bacteria our hands can pick up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
AmyBoz said:
No advice. :hugz: It's been my experience that you're NEVER too old for acne! :(
Jelly,

I agree with Amy. I am older than you are and last year I developed acne. I never had it in my life so I really panicked.

I tried clearasil (sp?) and it worked for me, but I did find it a little drying so I switched to Stridex. I now use Stridex with aloe for sensitve skin. I wash my face, pat it dry and gently use a Stridex pad over my whole face, once in the morning and once at night. I never let myself run out. It may work for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.