Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have:
almost 2 cups of cooked white rice
about 1/2 pound of shredded roast (It was cooked in the crockpot with salsa & taco seasoning- used to make soft tacos.)

However, DH is not crazy about rice, and usually only eats a very small portion when I make it, and then only if it's soaking up a sauce (like in Chinese food). So I don't want to just serve the roast over rice- I need to spice it up quite a bit.

I also have on hand:
-- general pantry staples- creamed soups, canned veggies, etc.
-- canned tomatoes
-- tomato sauce
-- enchilada sauce
-- shredded cheese
-- lettuce
-- onions
-- sour cream

I also have chicken, one thin steak (which I'd normally slice up for fajitas) and hamburger in the freezer, if more meat is needed. I do not have any tortillas, and I'm low on flour, so that's out.

So..... I know there's a casserole just waiting to be created. Any ideas? Recipes?

P.S. I'm feeding two adults and two kids, and all of us like Mexican and spicy foods-- even my one year-old will eat spicy things like jalapeno chips. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
spanish rice? Add tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, the rice and beef... heat it up and season to your liking.

Reactions: AmyMCGS

·
Registered
176 Posts
How about a variation on "fried rice"? Saute a chopped onion with a clove or two of minced garlic and maybe some curry powder. Add the leftover meat and rice, stirring to mix well. If you have them, add some veggies too (frozen peas or green beans). Make a well in the middle and add an egg or two. When the eggs begin to set, stir until well blended and the egg is totally cooked. Serve with a salad.

·
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. I'm still leaning towards a casserole to better hide the rice from DH ;) but both of those sound good also.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You could make a chili out of the roast, but over the rice and top with cheese, onion, sour cream, and lettuce. or Nachos.

·
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh, that sounds good, too.

I think I'm leaning towards using this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/140297
but using my roast in place of the ground beef.

·
27,948 Posts
I like Suki's idea but it needs Cheese! :D
Yep, just looked at the link in your post Amy, it's got the cheese!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
What about making some homemade tortillas and making enchiladas with the rice and meat?

Or, rice and meat burritos with some cheese in them too?

There is a chili rice casserole that I make. It is basically chili mixed with rice with some sliced black olives and some cheese. You bake it in the oven, but you don't have to if everything is already cooked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts