Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have lived in military housing for 6 years, so we haven't paid utilites...
We will be moving into a two bedroom apartment. There are three of us, two adults and a toddler. We have a washer and dryer, a tv and a computer. DH runs a fan at night to sleep. Of course we have the other random electric things like alarm clock, toaster, hair dryer etc...just to give you an idea.
So, I'm wondering if anyone has a family size and housing situation like ours and can estimate what our electricity bill might be. We would be careful with the usage, ie turning off lights and unplugging things when not in use. Heat would not be included in this, as it is part of the rent.
I used the online calculator in another post and it came out with $37.40 per month...this seems very low to me...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Reactions: mama2James

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
The calculator in the link above is pretty good, it said we would use $68 a month and our bills have been that much. I like winter, our electric bill goes does to about $50 :)

Reactions: mama2James

·
8,714 Posts
~I would plan on at least $60 a month if I were you. We spend that much every month for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath rancher. Our heat, stove and water heater are gas so you'll be spending more if you have all electric appliances. We also use only CFL's in our light fixtures. That calculator posted above estimated twice what we pay.~

·
Registered
938 Posts
I don't know if it will work for you, but when I was planning to move, I called my utilities (gas & electric) and asked what the average bill was for a certain address I was looking at. They were very nice about it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The calculator that you all mentioned is the same one I used. It said $37.40 and that seemed really low to me? But it sounds like it was pretty accurate for some. I would never have thought about calling the power company and asking about the average bill for an address...thanks!

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Once you are moved in your new place I would use a Kill a watt instrument. This will give you more accurate numbers. you can then focus on equipment that uses the most energy and see if you can trim down their usage.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
you can call the power company for 'utility averages' but take that with a grain of salt.... with my rentals for instance i can have the same house and two different families in them and one family will run it thru the roof and the other uses next to nothing...it is all going to depend on how many people in the home, the energy habits of the folks, how many electric 'gadgets' they have....

it doesn't sound like you have alot of big energy burners...keep in mind when not in use...turn off and unplug if possible...put everything on the powerstrips that you can...i think you can easily do it under $40....just read all the posts here for tips on making the most (or least) of everything.... good luck:clown2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts