Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the bi-fold door off the linen closet in one of our baths that we're remodeling and we won't be putting them back. I am trying to think of a way to salvage them and turn them into something else, but I have so much else on my mind right now (remodeling related and a timeline we're trying to meet) that I just can't focus and come up with anything creative. I really want to prevent dh just throwing them out though.

It's two doors attached (so one bi-fold door - hope that makes sense). Each door measures 12" wide and 78.75" high. They are the type that have the horizontal slats in the middle of the door from top to bottom except for the middle where the knob is on each.

Dh has plenty of woodworking tools so they can be cut down or whatever. I don't have to reuse them inside the house. We have a huge front porch, huge back porch, lots of land, garden area, etc. where they could be used.

Any fun and creative ideas would be very much appreciated! Thanks! :dust:

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Kim, could you have your dh cut them down to fit any windows in your house? I know that plantation style shutters and blinds are all the rage here and I assume that they are popular in FL as well. Wouldn't they work for a patio door or something? He could work them down in size and paint them white.....?
My other suggestion is to make a room divider out of them. I've also seen them used somewhere as wall decor, painted funky colors.
Ok there's my 2 cents worth....(money back guarantee as always ;) ).

·
27,948 Posts
How about a trellis outdoors? Privacy screen?

·
Registered
445 Posts
You could cut them in half, paint them with flowers and use them for holding mail and bills. They will need a backing to keep letters from sliding all the way through. Keep one for yourself and you'll have three to give away for xmas.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I was thinking trellis. You could remove the slats and staple up some chicken wire then add a wood cutout or something near the top of the wire for decoration.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Fireplace screen, cut down first of course.

How about taking the slats out and putting some fabric with rods attached at both the top and bottom and use it for a privacy screen like someone mentioned.

Maybe remove the slats and put some type of wood back in with holes cut so you can showcase family photos?

Just thoughts...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My brother in law cut one down and made an extremely cute gate to keep the babies out of the kitchen area.. Attached one end to the doorway, and added a latch on the other side.. It lasted until he took it down to remodel almost four years and two boys later.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Headboard for a bed

or

one of the folding screens that you put into a corner and you used to see movie stars changing behind in old movies.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I saw one used as a magazine/bulletin board on divine design. They turned it upside down and replaced the top half with cork board. For the magazines they just slipped the open magazines through the louvers.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I just made a room divider out of 2 pairs of those, for in the living room by the front door.
I also like the window shutter idea.:)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Remove select slats, mount horizontally and voila! A clothes drying rack/shelf.

I also thought of room divider, but I like trellis best of all the suggestions.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Got any sagging sofa's? or "too-soft" beds?

Cut the wooden slats to fit width and length in each case, cover with thick cotton or thin foam ( to prevent splinters;) ) and you will have given your old furniture a new lease of life:D

This is something I have done my self, only not using a bi-fold door:)

Got Bunk Beds? How about using the door ( cut to size natch) to screen off the lower bunk? or take out the lower bunk, shove a desk in the space add door and ta da! you now have a room with study area:smball:
I have an other idea but I think I would have to draw you a picture and that is something I CAN'T do on the Computer:sigh:

(Although I am sure my brainiac dh would figure that one out;) )

Let us know what you decide to do & maybe post some pics?

Karen

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Englishlady said:

Let us know what you decide to do & maybe post some pics?

My post is actually from January and this thread just got resurrected. I don't have the door because it long ago went to live with another family. LOL Dh has been recycling off as much as he can to a co-worker that can use the things in his house.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Doh! sorry Kim!I wish there was a way of seeing when something was posted originally so that I don't revive anything Historical:toothy:

Maybe there already is and I am too Computer dim to know? ;)

I have seen "old stuff" revived by some new people ( an observation NOT an accusation:) ) and thought, I wish there was a date when the Original Thread was started, I did wonder if doing it on my own posts would be considered impolite or just bad (Computer) form?

:confused:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Karen, look in the box where each person's username appears. As you go down you'll see their avatar if they have one, their registered info (month and year the person joined FV, location, # of posts, brownie points, mood and all the info that goes along with that, then a blue mood button icon, then a photos icon. Just below all that (in line with the bottom of the post part that shows the profile, pm, search, buddy, edit, and quote buttons) shows a date and time for each post. I often forget to look at that myself! LOL

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well paint me pink and call me Gladys:toothy: I never realised that:blush: I am as thick as a bodybuilders bum sometimes!

I shall put a little note on the screen so that I check that next time, to help my moth-eaten memory:D

Thanks Kim;)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Englishlady said:
Well paint me pink and call me Gladys:toothy:
I needed to laugh today and that comment sure did make me so thank you! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts