Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Dh follows the no meat on Fridays rule of Lent. However, I don't have a lot of meatless dishes in my repertoire. I think I'll have a mutiny if I do mac and cheese every Friday.

Any EASY meatless ideas for me? Ease is key, as I've got a newborn. Also, no seafood...allergies.

I'd appreciate any ideas!!!

·
4,028 Posts
Rachel Ray's Mexican Lasagna..... Mexican Lasagna Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

I've made it without meat or have substituted another can of beans for the meat. I've also used pre-made taco seasoning in place of the seasonings she lists. It also freezes very well.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's not a fan of breakfast for dinner. He believes breakfast is for morning only. HOWEVER...if I'm cooking, we'll have at least one breakfast for dinner Friday in Lent. :)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
spinach manicotti...my whole family loves this one!
spegetti w/sauce (no meat)
veg quiche
I'll give more as I think of them

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I got this recipe from YankeeMom. Made it this past week and it was de-lish!!! As yummy as it was the first night, it was even better the next day. As you can see it is very easy to make, too.

Spinach Pasta

1lb Penne Pasta (or Ziti or other tube pasta), cooked according to pkg directions
1lb frozen chopped spinach
2 cups half & half
4T butter
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (not the green can)
garlic pepper seasoning

Season spinach w/ garlic-pepper seasoning and heat in microwave until hot.

Meanwhile, melt butter and add half & half. Heat over medium high, stirring constantly, until thickened slightly. Do NOT let boil. Add Parmesan cheese & stir until melted. Add seasoned spinach to cheese sauce. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir slightly.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I got this recipe from YankeeMom. Made it this past week and it was de-lish!!! As yummy as it was the first night, it was even better the next day. As you can see it is very easy to make, too.

Spinach Pasta

1lb Penne Pasta (or Ziti or other tube pasta), cooked according to pkg directions
1lb frozen chopped spinach
2 cups half & half
4T butter
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (not the green can)
garlic pepper seasoning

Season spinach w/ garlic-pepper seasoning and heat in microwave until hot.

Meanwhile, melt butter and add half & half. Heat over medium high, stirring constantly, until thickened slightly. Do NOT let boil. Add Parmesan cheese & stir until melted. Add seasoned spinach to cheese sauce. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir slightly.
mmmmm... this looks de-lish (minus the half and half, however...)
anything from Heather is GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Another I do with or without meat is...

5 or 6 cups cooked rice
1 large can cream of mushroom, chicken or celery soup
8 oz shredded cheese (any kind)
1 can of corn, drained
2 cups or so of cooked broccoli and/or cauliflower

Mix all in a casserole dish.

Crush one sleeve of Ritz (or store brand Ritz style) crackers and sprinkle over top. Drizzle a couple of table spoons of melted butter over the crackers.

Put in a 350* pre-heated over for about ten or so minutes, just until everything is warm.

Salt and pepper to taste before serving.

I add different veggies and swap out various cheese (or leave out the cheese all together sometimes) depending on what I have in the fridge or cabinets. When we do eat it with meat, I mix in cooked chicken chunks, pork chops or a couple of cans of tuna.

This is my "clean out the fridge" meal. When I have a little of this and a little of that, I add it to the rice and soup mix and it is so good. But, I am a fan of most things fattening and creamy.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Are your allergies to all seafood or maybe just shellfish? Is tuna casserole an option?

Lasagna roll ups, black bean tostadas, tortellini vegetable soup, baked mostaciolli, spaghetti with marinara sauce, fettucine alfredo with mushrooms, caesar salad, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup...

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Veggie Crock Pot Soup

Couple of bags of mixed veggies
An onion or two, chopped up
Five or six potatoes cut into chunks
A can of diced tomatoes
Put all in crock pot and then add enough chicken broth/stock or water with bullion cubes to fill crock pot 3/4 full.
Cook on high or medium high until potatoes are cooked through.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, these are awesome ideas! Thank you all so much!!! :clap:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Amy,

If you look up Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals she has a italian veggie stew that is awesome. Also could you do a homemade veggie pizza or grilled cheese and tomato soup

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't even think about a homemade, veggie pizza! I do homemade pizza all the time! Duh!!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We basically use Lent as an excuse to eat lots of seafood, lol.

Veggie Lasagna or a Mousaka would be great meatless meals.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We are vegetarians (well, the kids are at home.)

Faves are:
Cheese lasagna (even the frozen ones are pretty good - I usually top them with extra sauce) w/ salad and garlic bread

Mexican Pizza:

Pita bread
Refried beans
Salsa
Veggies of choice
Shredded Cheese

Layer on the pita bread in the above order. Bake in the oven at 400*F until cheese is bubbly and pita is crispy. Serve with more salsa and sour cream.

Veggie stir fry with rice or noodles

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Egg salad or tuna salad sandwiches with soup.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
pasta w/ diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, some white wine and chick peas. sprinkle w/ fresh grtd cheese. very yummy. i also make this white beans.

pasta w/ sauteed onion and garlic, mix together. add 1/2 bag of frsh spinach and some 1/2'ed grape tomatoes and some feta. very good! can add sauteed shrimp too!

tuna casserole made w/ whole wheat noodles, crm of shrm soup, durkee onions and peas. dh loves this! i also add some shrd cheddar in the mix.

what about grilled (dh can handle that!) marinate large scampies in frsh lemon juice, some hot sce and frsh garlic. wrap in heavy duty foil and grill. grill some frsh veggies and you have a meal along w/ some garlic bread and maybe a salad.

baked tilapia - slather w/ mayo and hot pepper or seasoning of your choice, top w/ bread crumbs and a bit of frsh grtd cheese and bake. you can roast veggies to go with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.