Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go downstairs and turn on the light and this crazy looking creature jumped about 4 feet high in front of me. I scream and see my DD's flip flops and throw it at the funky thing, miss it, jumps again, more screams, throw the other shoe and miss again and the alien went under my treadmill!

I'm friendly to things I know, like spiders, I let hang out if I see them....but heck no on this thing. Never seen nothing like it.

I would say it was like a beetle but some funky brown color but didn't get too close. lol. It was pretty large, it had these big legs like a grasshopper or something. I'm still freaked out about it!! :laugh: That thing could jump!!

Anyone have a clue what it is? :D I really need to solve the mystery of the creature that lives below.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Was it like this? We used to have them in our old old old house and they were quick at running and great at jumping off the wall.

(found a less HUGE pic to post - didn't realize it'd blow up that large :lol:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Libby, that thing is nasty.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG!! That thing is scary looking! No, the body was more like a funky round shape. Actually a weird shape. It didn't have that many legs.

Libby, you edited it and now the pic doesn't work. It was fun when it jumped out on my screen. lol

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if this matters, but it has rained today and a little storm just went through. It's a little humid.

Off to see if I can describe it to Google. :D

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I don't know if this matters, but it has rained today and a little storm just went through. It's a little humid.

Off to see if I can describe it to Google. :D
I was guessing it was a camel cricket ( locally we call them hump back crickets) and yes the storm and it being humid would matter they like damp. They also like dark.

I know what they are and that they are harmless and common but I still jump every time I see one.

Hugs

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Yeah, i was thinking cricket too. DGrandma got them in her root cellar. They love damp. I got a kick out of it. I have never seen that woman afraid of anything. At 1 point she refused to go get her canned goods. Do you have a cat??? All my crickets have no head.lol

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That thing is GROSS! :yikes:

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Ok maybe b/c I'm used to the 2nd pic of the buy I posted (not the first pic which was huge and didn't help things :lol:) YOURS seems more gross b/c it jumps and has frog like hind legs. How big was it?!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't want to meet that in person :)

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
I'm generally pretty laid back about bugs (except those HUGE roaches that get inside) but if that unexpectedly jumped at me it would scare the daylights out of me.

I hope he didn't bring his friends along!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
How big was it?!

Yes, how big was the one you saw Palooka?

The ones I have seen range in size from little, a 1/4 of an inch to big two inches long.

The also jump erratically so sometime they jump toward you when they are trying to get away.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, i was thinking cricket too. DGrandma got them in her root cellar. They love damp. I got a kick out of it. I have never seen that woman afraid of anything. At 1 point she refused to go get her canned goods. Do you have a cat??? All my crickets have no head.lol
I have two and I hope they found that sucker today.

Yes, how big was the one you saw Palooka?

The ones I have seen range in size from little, a 1/4 of an inch to big two inches long.

The also jump erratically so sometime they jump toward you when they are trying to get away.
It was very big! I'd say about an inch and a half. They almost look like jumping spiders. Gah!! Ya learn something new every day. :)

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
995 Posts
If I had encountered that beast, you would have heard me screaming all over the world - EEEWWWWWW!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.