Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We completed the bedroom/bathroom addition and are getting ready to have the kitchen completely gutted and re done. Everything but the floors are getting redone. The old plaster walls have to be replastered, new cabinets, sink, countertops and backsplash. I am excited , but we are still exhausted from the new addition. You would think I built it myself (lol).

So I need ideas on how to cook simple meals during the construction period. I guess I will be putting all the stuff that is in the cabinets in boxes in the dining room. The refrigerator will probably be in the dining room for that time and the sink and stove may be usable for part of the time.

I have a camp stove that I can use outside or in the basement, a crockpot, an electric skillet and a microwave. I could set these up on the dining table and put the boxes of food and pots and pans on the floor.

Oh help!!!! I just feel like if I can get somewhat organized that things will go smoother. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Way to go in thinking (or at least trying to) ahead for the re-model of your kitchen. We just went through it. My dh did the work so we did it one side at a time. And we didn't have to gut it like you are doing, the walls we fine. He did have to patch just a little bit where he took down half of a wall and part of the ceiling. You dear friend will need to keep your sanity for a bit while this is going on. You will be so pleased at the end though.

It sounds like you have it under control. There are great threads about crockpot meals and of course the grill comes in mighty handy.

Reactions: NewLeaf

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do you have a freezer that you can cook some meals ahead of time and freeze? Things you can heat in your microwave.

If not sit down and look through your recipes and online for things that can easily be fixed in your crockpot or on your camp stove and get those all planned ahead with ingredients you might need. Store those ingredients in the same box with easy access. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I would say make meals ahead and freeze like casseroles that you can just pop in the stove or microwave. When you make meals now just double your recipe and make 2 & freeze one for later.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You could even get a couple of dish pans from the $ store and use them to wash dishes in..Fill from the bathroom if need be and wash dishes on the table..Make and freeze meals are great too.Large electric coffee pot make a good hot water heater too for this type of project.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When my kitchen was under remodel (one month) we ate out of the freezer of stuff that I had already made w/ a few exceptions (cold sandwiches, nachos, etc).

I did not have a stove to use and did not have a DW (used the bin in the big tub idea that another poster suggested). Everything was microwaved or toaster (bread toaster not a mini toaster) or cold. Cereal worked for breakfast.

I was so freaking happy when it was done. It's been many years but that's all I can think of. I know I did not use the crockpot, but that's a great suggestion as well.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and great suggestions. I am going to make some dinners in the next week that I could easily make two of and freeze one!!!! I hadn't even thought of it. Also, I love the idea of putting the ingrediants in one easily accessed area.I don't know how long this will take, but I am planning on two weeks. The cabinets come already put together and the countertops will be cut. We have an installer so there will be a couple of guys working on it.
Breakfast and lunch are pretty easy around here. As long as we can get our coffee and cereal in the a.m. and a good dinner at night we will be fine! Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.