Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We bought front loaders two years ago - our other set was 18 years old (we had bought them new) and they were fine, but very loud and serious energy hogs. (we donated them to a local organization that helps abused women and children get a home of their own - they really needed a washer and dryer, so - it all worked out well.)

Front loaders WERE an adjustment. Once I understood that my old top loader wasn't rubber sealed and watertight all around like the new front loader, and THAT was what was creating the difference, I was fine.

About three times a year I would run a cycle of just bleach and leave the door open to dry. That would take care of it.

Now I use vinegar instead of fabric softener, and find this seems to help alot - I only run bleach through the machine about once a year.

The key is definitely leaving a door open, and wiping down your seals.

Think of it this way; that front loader is as air tight with the door closed as your fridge is - probably more. Just imagine your fridge sitting warm with moisture inside it - it WILL start to smell!

For us, the trade off of extreme energy efficiency (uses about 1/8 the water my old top loader did, and a ton less electricity) and the whisper quiet function was worth it. Our pantry/laundry is right off the main room. You couldn't even hear the television over the *whummm whummm whummm* of the older washer! :)

Just my two cents! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a Top loader washer. I had a problem with it smelling. I do keep the door open when not in use and this does work. I also used Tide Wahing Machine Cleaner (not sure if this is the right name but it's a cleaner for the washer made by Tide). Anyway, this works great and smells wonderful. A little pricey, 3 treatments for just under $7.00 but it's alot cheaper than buying a new washer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Check for a recall on the machine. I had a Maytag neptune that did the same thing. They had a recall because it needed a mildew kit installed to stop the odor. I got the part sent to me and had a servicemana from the area install it. No more problems. Although since I had the machine for a few years when the recall came out, I think that was a part of the reason the tub rusted out. It was also a front loader and I tried allthe above mention things. They worked for alittle while but the came back. Or try calling the company, maybe they could help you. Good luck.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts