Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our electric water heater isn't giving us hot water. DS has checked the fuses and he pushed the reset button. Does anybody have any ideas we can try? I really don't want the expense of a plumber if there's anything else we can do.....

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
try the ground fault circuit interruptor

Reactions: ilovechocolate

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
a lot of times the heating element or thermostat goes bad.
Heating element is really easy to get out.
but doesn't this take some serious muscle?

was going to say same as above... and if you have hard water it is really hard on the heating elements.

How old is it? With really hard water anything above 10 years is a bonus!! Mine is currently going............I don't have as much hot water as I used to...figure the bottom one is corroded......I will run it until dead!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
We have hard water and it wasn't hard for me to get out. We replaced ours last year and the guy at Menards told me to drain it 4 x a year and it would extend the life. I forget!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I can't help you with the water heater, but if you have to be out of hot water for a while, I can help you by telling you techniques to wash dishes/yourself using stew pots of hot water, assuming you have a working stove. We were without a water heater for a year, and I had to learn how.

Judi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts