Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is my very first post on this site :)

So I'm a health-and-fitness freak. I practice Crossfit, Olympic weight lifting, barefoot running, martial arts (in the past) and am toying with the idea of taking up parkour. Basically, I'm an all-around athlete :D And as such, I need to eat like an athlete.

I've become a HUGE fan of the paleo/primal diet in the past six months or so. There's loads more information on marksdailyapple.com for the interested (disclaimer: I'm NOT affiliated with them at all, just a big fan) but the general gist is: high-protein (fish, eggs, full-fat organic dairy products), high-fat (LOTS of almonds), relatively low-carb, with most to all of the carbs coming from leafy vegetables and fruit. No sugars, no grains, very few starchy vegetables, no processed foods whatsoever. I'll have coffee or super-dark chocolate once a month or so, and honey once in a blue moon. It's pretty strict, but I look, feel and act my best on it - I don't get sick, I have loads of energy, I can work and play up to my full potential and life generally feels pretty awesome.

I've also found (after cutting it out for a long time and then giving in to a cookie craving) that I'm rather sensitive to gluten and grains in general - literally any more than a bite of bread or something similar and I'm instantly bloated and cranky and my asthma (which is nonexistent all other times) flares up.

HOWEVER...

It's a very expensive way to eat. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit ate hard enough to come by cheaply; add in the organic dairy and fish on a regular basis and I'm already blowing the bank. Currently, I'm crashing with the parents, doing house- and yard-work in return for use of the house, but it's become clear that I need to get out on my own again soon. On my current wages, that'll mean that I'd like to spend preferably no more than $20-$25/week on groceries.

Help! I can't rely on the normal staples of bread or pasta to keep costs low here. I can eat small amounts of oats, quinoa, lentils etc but not enough to base my costs on them. What do you guys think? Is there a way to salvage my budget without sacrificing health too much?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
First welcome to frugal village! I can understand how it would be expensive to eat that way. There are alot of people on this site that follow a similar diet so I am sure someone will stop by and give you some tips. :)

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
We eat a diet quite the same. If you hunt that makes a big difference. If not offer to pay for the tag for a friend that hunts and share the bounty. Gardening and foraging (mushrooms,berries etc) also are a big $ saver. I know it is late in the season for gardening but you can plan for next year.

I got a recipe off here to make your own almond milk. That was a big savings weekly for us right there.

I know PB and MDA have an issue with too many beans but i have found that as long as they are really soaked good there are no issues for us. They are easy on the budget.

For us the biggies to save are :

Hunt

garden~ freeze and dry the bounty

stock up big time on sales

pick the yummy wild berries, fruits, mushrooms etc and freeze or dry

eat with the seasons

Sorry I can't come up with more at the moment

·
Registered
689 Posts
A strict paleo diet does not include any cooked legumes, grains, or tubers. It also does not include dairy.

Include red meat/(fresh) road kill. Take up hunting/trapping for meat.

PM me for a link to a site that will help if you don't get the answer you want here.

Lee

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I would suggest you do more research on your paleo diet as you should not be eating dairy. As for eating this diet on 20 to 25 a week, Not unless you raise your own. Thanks a pretty tall order.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I got the opinion the OP was a follower of Mark Sisson and the Primal Blueprint which allows for the 80/20 rule.

I'm going to Pm you if thats ok because I'd like to see the site :)

To the OP there are a few threads on Mark Sissons message forum on how people do Primal as frugally as possible. Here is another site i got some great recipes and good ideas on http://www.sonofgrok.com/category/recipes/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, everyone!

A note on the comments on hunting (and road kill)...well, I've been some level of vegetarian for over a decade now, just started eating seafood again a couple years ago. I've been pondering going back to real meat-eating in full force, and the fact that it would be easier on my budget is certainly seeming like a good reason to! That said, it'll probably take me quite a while to get up the guts to actually do the deed myself, and most of my friends are single career women - not too many hunters there! - but it's a great suggestion, and I'll definitely look around for some kind of a buck-share program! :)

As for the dairy: you caught me! I'm not a total hardcore caveman. Of the group of friends who got me into this niche in the first place, each one has a slightly different eating plan and each refers to it as "paleo" in conversation, so I follow suit. My particular brand of eating is tempered a lot with books like "In Defense Of Food" (Michael Pollan) and "Real Food" (Nina Planck). I'm a HUGE fan of pretty much any fermented dairy, and make most of my own yoghurt at home with organic, family-farmed, local-if-I-can-get-it milk. I find that it helps me fill my protein and fat requirements without overloading on eggs and taking olive oil by the shot. Plus, IMHO, "paleo" sounds cooler than "primal" :D

Lee: I will definitely PM you, extra info is always welcome!

Ann: yep, I know that's a pretty stringent goal, and definitely more than I can do right off the bat...but that's kind of the point, I'm setting a goal for myself and seeing how close I can get on my own and with all the great help from this site :)

nodmicks: thank you so much for that list of suggestions! It's a great start for me :) And I love that link!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
to FV I eat a healthy diet no processed foods only once in a while I eat honey, eggs & whole foods or organic foods and love raw almonds too! I rarely get sick and feel great. Wish you the best w/being frugal with your food budget you can do it just takes some planning! Freezing extra foods inseason like fruits & veggies helps lots like when you want to make soups or smoothies you have that on hand in your freezer. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: Luckybustert

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Hi everyone! This is my very first post on this site :)

So I'm a health-and-fitness freak. I practice Crossfit, Olympic weight lifting, barefoot running, martial arts (in the past) and am toying with the idea of taking up parkour. Basically, I'm an all-around athlete :D And as such, I need to eat like an athlete.

I've become a HUGE fan of the paleo/primal diet in the past six months or so. There's loads more information on marksdailyapple.com for the interested (disclaimer: I'm NOT affiliated with them at all, just a big fan) but the general gist is: high-protein (fish, eggs, full-fat organic dairy products), high-fat (LOTS of almonds), relatively low-carb, with most to all of the carbs coming from leafy vegetables and fruit. No sugars, no grains, very few starchy vegetables, no processed foods whatsoever. I'll have coffee or super-dark chocolate once a month or so, and honey once in a blue moon. It's pretty strict, but I look, feel and act my best on it - I don't get sick, I have loads of energy, I can work and play up to my full potential and life generally feels pretty awesome.

I've also found (after cutting it out for a long time and then giving in to a cookie craving) that I'm rather sensitive to gluten and grains in general - literally any more than a bite of bread or something similar and I'm instantly bloated and cranky and my asthma (which is nonexistent all other times) flares up.

HOWEVER...

It's a very expensive way to eat. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit ate hard enough to come by cheaply; add in the organic dairy and fish on a regular basis and I'm already blowing the bank. Currently, I'm crashing with the parents, doing house- and yard-work in return for use of the house, but it's become clear that I need to get out on my own again soon. On my current wages, that'll mean that I'd like to spend preferably no more than $20-$25/week on groceries.

Help! I can't rely on the normal staples of bread or pasta to keep costs low here. I can eat small amounts of oats, quinoa, lentils etc but not enough to base my costs on them. What do you guys think? Is there a way to salvage my budget without sacrificing health too much?
I agree with you it costs more to eat this way, but I also think it's a much healthier way to eat and what you are spending on food is very likely offset by what you are SAVING on health care! Cheap foods often have a very high price when you factor in the related health costs, both immediate and long term.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found a good way to get my fruits and veg a lot cheaper. We have a food co-op near my house that has certainly helped our budget. For $15/week we get about 20-40 lbs of fresh produce depending on the season. The co-op available in my area is called bountiful baskets and is available in many areas of the west. If this particular co-op is not available in your area, look into others that might be. For $10/week additional, you can make your co-op share organic.
We are trying to eat no processed foods, no meat, no dairy at my house. We eat lots of fruits, veg, nuts, beans, and some grains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.