Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel dumb, but...

This morning I was in the kitchen making my coffee and I saw an animal out of the corner of my eye. I figured the neighbor's dog had just gotten loose, but when I went to the window I saw a pack of five of these things. I was lucky enough to have my digital camera on the kitchen table, so I grabbed a couple pictures from my deck before they ran back into the woods.

What are they? The pictures don't really show it, but they had really short legs. Do coyotes come in black? Are they really hairy wolves? I think foxes are reddish. I did some googling, and it looks like there hasn't been a wolf found alive in Illinois since the 1800s.

If they were dogs, they were incredibley strange looking. Plus I really can't imagine having a pack of wild dogs running around a neighhborhood like ours. Our subdivision is in the country and it's heavily wooded with a lake and campgrounds, but there's about 3000 people out here.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't know. To be honest, the black ones look like dogs but the other ones (especially in the second picture) look like little goats to me. Um yeah lol

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what my husband said. Do goats and wild dogs hang out together? It seems so strange.

·
Registered
30 Posts
how strange! To me, the black ones look like dogs - they are dogs! hehe But the other ones look like goats on short stubby legs. LOL. In the second photo with only two - the one closest to the camera looks like it has a collar? maybe someone is raising a special breed of goat on a nearby farm?

Let us know if you find out.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I agree. I would say you have a couple of dogs and goats there. I doubt those dogs are wild. They probably belong to someone and just got loose.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yup, the balck ones look like dogs but the other ones look like miniature goats (I'm not syaing there is such a thing as miniature goats, they just look like them lol). Cute!

·
4,028 Posts
I cast my vote the same.... the black ones are dogs and the other ones are goats. The dogs have the shape of a border collie but not the markings. It could be that the goats sneaked away and the herding dogs followed to protect them or bring them back.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
the little ones are definitely goats....i have also never heard of dogs and goats hangin out but i dont know that much about dogs and goats lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks like a couple dogs and goats. And yes dogs and goats can get along just fine. I once owned 2 goats (to keep the weeds down) and 5 dogs. They would play together. That's a strange sight in the morning though. Haha.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes they are dogs and goats.
Some farms have dogs that watch over the sheep or goats.
They propably got out from a farm nearby and the dogs are doing their job guarding them.
Call the aspca or animal control and they should be able to find the owner.
I have goats and dogs

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah i have to say dogs and a goat , but at least one looks like a jumping bunny..who knows , maybe the goat thinks its a dog after bunnies....

I have seen stranger things

·
Registered
306 Posts
It looks like dogs and goats to me too. I agree that it probably is some body's farm animals that got out and the dogs just followed to keep track or something. My DH and I once saw a full grown pig and a dog walking on a back road in the country out by my in-laws. The pig got loose and the dog followed. It was one of the strangest things I had ever seen, also one of the days I wished I had a camera!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah i have to say dogs and a goat , but at least one looks like a jumping bunny..who knows , maybe the goat thinks its a dog after bunnies....
:laugh: ok now I'm cracking up... holding on so I don't fall on the floor. :crackup: no offense intended.... I feel like I'm reading the "humor" forum. LOL.

For those of you who have goats... my hub has been threatening to get some goats for years now because he thinks they'll cut down on the lawn work... but my vet says they'll just eat my shrubs and flowers and he'll still have to mow and trim the lawn. What do you say?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Your vet is right.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You know kinda remindes me of an HEb nearbye that is home to a flock of Green parrots , not little ones but HUGE green parrots... Central Texas minde ya , some say they were someones pets , and got loose and multiplied...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you mean I didn't discover Bigfoot? :lol3:

I just got back from my neighbor's house, who is a retired farmer. After he finished laughing at how much of a city girl I am, he agreed that they're goats and dogs. Apparently, his wife was walking their dog last fall and got followed home by goats, and he thinks they're the same ones. They belong to a farm a few miles away. We're not sure about the dogs though.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I also think it's a couple of dogs and goats, harmless I am sure... or atleast I hope! :)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
O.K. now we are really off on a tangent . . .LOL! But, we have these huge, green, loud, wild parrots that come around from time to time and hang out in the huge trees in the cul-de-sac and squawk REALLY loud. They are interesting to watch though.

My first thought when looking at the pics was also dogs and goats. :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Back home we used to have a local crow that would say "Hello". No foolin', he would sit in a tree and say "Hello" over and over again. We have no idea where he learned it -- we always figured he was a tame crow at one point and just learned to speak this one work, like a parrot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts