Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of tiny ants in my bathroom. There were only a few yesterday and now there are over 40. I think they are coming from tiny cracks in the floor or walls. I put two ant traps down and they are swarming those. I wondered if anyone knew of a good product preferably a natural one for getting rid of these little pests. They creep me out and I need to shower, as it's already 4pm in the afternoon, but they are all near my tub and shower :surprise: !

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
ive heard but not tested that they won't cross a line of peppermint/spearmint extract.

Don't know if that's an old woves tale or not.

·
27,948 Posts
I wipe everything down with vinegar & water, seems to help alot here.:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
our bug guy told us to spray with windex (or something with amonia in it) it will kill them, wipe it up and put baby powder down, if any left they cant walk through powder.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your great tips :). I think I am going to clean the bathroom completely with vinegar and water and then I'll try to use windex in the area the ants seem to swarm. I like that baby powder idea too, I'll have to try that. I have some spearmint linen spray that I can try too. Hey, I'm up for anything. I want to make sure these critters don't make it out of my bathroom and into my kitchen!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Ants are bad here this year too. I also have them in the bathroom.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had this kind of problem when I moved into my first apartment, in Utah. What my mom told me to do was get that bug spray that keeps them awat for 3+ months. (kind of expensive and not so good around kids or small pets) I used that and it worked-- but after the 3 months someone told me to put a spray bottle head on a bottle of alcohol and then spray them as I see them. It had something to do with disintegrating their little skeletal systems and it's alcohol so it evaporates. But that does nothing to prevent them. Sorry.

I'm just remembering times when I was sitting on the toilet imagining I was James Bond, singing the Dragnet theme, and spraying ants. Fun times.

:laugh:

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I had them my last apartment. The vinegar didn't work for me. But I don't know what does. I don't really remember, but think I finally did escalate to bug spray, though I don't like to use it. I would rather have almost any pest in my house than ants. Good luck with them.

·
4,028 Posts
I have heard but not tested: putting the dish water out along the area where they are coming into the house. So you might want to try putting whatever
vinegar, pinesol, alchohol solution you want along the outside wall where you think they are coming in. Let us know what you try.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just spent 3 months in So Florida will DD. She was invaded big time. Like overnight. I did a google search. If what you have are those tiny tiny ants we had they are Pharoah Ants, commonly called sugar ants. The overall concensus was to use Boric Acid not stronger than 6%. SIL had a couple of bottles of ant killer and ----it was Boric Acid. It worked overnight.

We took small pieces of paper and put the ant killer (liquid)--just a few drops--on them and placed them where the ants would travel through it. Several sites said to not kill the ants you see--they will take the boric acid stuff back to their buddies and kill them off too. It is hard to watch the parade and not start murdering the little buggers, but they have to get it to their nest to get rid of the problem.

The reason the ant are in kitchens and bathrooms is to find food and water. They follow the trails of other ants, so after the great massacre is over wipe counters with Clorex wipes or bleach water or alcohol to get rid of the trail.

Hope this helps. SIL said the Ant Killer is very inexpensive and he bought it at Publix. Please keep this away from pets and children.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had aproblem with ants everywhere and nothing I tried worked. They kept coming back. Then I found Terro liquid. You put it on pieces of cardboard included in the box,put these out of the way of kids and pets. The ants come to these and take it back to their nests and it kills them all. I haven't had ants in 5 years. The traps didn't work as well. You can get this either at the hardware or the grocery store for around 4 dollars. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was told by an exterminator to use baby powder on my lawn and it did get rid of them. I have also heard of using cayenne pepper.

·
Registered
933 Posts
im being plauged by them again this year too. vinegar isn't doing anything for me, except i have really clean cabinets now. ive heard of putting borax and sugar in a small dish and letting them take it back to the others. but that didn't work for me either. neither did the baby powder. i have smart ants.... i ordered some of that liquid ant killer, maybe that'll help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts