Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. :) Give me some good ideas!
I want to use up the potatoes before they get bad, so I'm wanting to freeze some (I have about 15 lbs) in the form of hashbrowns, twice baked potatoes, french fries, etc.
What's the best way to go about that?

As for the fryer chicken and chicken thighs - what are your favorite recipes? Would those be items I could stick in the crockpot (after I pat them with seasonings and cover in some sort of soup)?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I like to freeze mashed potatoes for later use. I cook 10 pounds of potatoes to mash. When they are done cooking I mash them with a little bit of garlic powder and a 8 ounce block of cream cheese. After thawing to serve I put them in a dish with melted butter drizzled on top and toss in the oven for 30 minutes.

I don't cook the chicken parts you have in the crockpot. But this is what I would do with the chicken. Marinade the thighs in italian dressing, coat them with a mixture of bread crumbs, paprika and parm cheese. Drizzle a little more italian dressing on them, bake for 45 minutes. Flash freeze them, when you want them for dinner put them back in the oven (45 minutes to an hour if frozen, 30 minutes if thawed out.) With the fryer chicken, I would cut it up into pieces to be fried.Coat them with Emirls Essance (sp) seasoning, let sit for around 15 minutes, dip them in a mixture of 1 cup hot sauce and 1 cup milk, coat them with self rising flour and fry. When frying the chicken cook for about 15 minutes on each side or until done, the bigger meatier pieces take a bit longer.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I freeze my leftover mashed potatoes as well. They do a fantastic job of thickening soups, and once frozen have the consistency of instant potatoes (at least that's what I find).

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is my favorite recipe site and they have alot of potato recipes

www.recipezaar.com

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
If your whole chicken will fit in your crockpot, you can roast it. My family thinks it tastes just like the ones you get at the grocery deli. Just wash it, and sprinkle liberally with Lawry's seasoned salt- really coat it well. Chop up some garlic and mince an onion, and put those in the cavity. Make some golf-ball sized balls of foil, and place them in the bottom of your crockpot. (This keeps the chicken from getting soggy.) Put the chicken on top of the foil balls, and cook on low all day. Yum!

Here's a good twice-baked potatoes recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/25502 . I have never frozen them myself, but the recipe says that they freeze well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
may be too late for your pot. by now

The dish that instantly came to my mind when you said chicken pieces and potatoes is an Italian dish called Chicken Vesuvious.
Brown chicken pieces on both sides in olive oil in a dutch oven or other heavy lidded stock pot. Once chik is brown, remove and set aside. Add a touch more oil and add one chopped onion and saute until soft. Then add potatoes that you have quartered, some garlic, and some dry seasoning (i use oregano and thyme or rosemary) and let the potatoes get a little brown. Then pour in some white wine (if you have it) and some chicken stock to deglaze the pan and get the nice browned bits from sticking. You can make this recipe more budget friendly by omitting the wine and just doing chick. stock. Then nestle the chicken back in with the potatoes, cover, and put in the oven at 450 for about 20 min. of until chick. is done cookin. Yuum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts