Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my kids to eat some of the things I use to eat as a child. anyone have any tips on cooking and seasoning black eye peas? and butterbeans? :smhelp:

·
27,948 Posts
When my kids were younger beans were usually hidden away in foods like chili, tacos etc. They weren't big fans of drier beans like limas and almost all beans (soft) were always eaten if they could be dipped in things like lf ranch dressing.;)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i vote for not forcing beans. my parents forced me as a child and i still dont like beans. the closest thing i eat is lentils. but every parent and child is different. they might change their mind on their own. i liked beans for about a month and then i was back into my old mindset. best of luck though getting them to eat whatever you make.

Reactions: Darlene

·
Registered
906 Posts
Funny, beans are my kids favorite food. However, I didn't like them as a young person - not so much the flavor but the symptoms. I make sure I cook and rinse mine until there are no bubbles left. That way they have no exaggerated intestinal problems. I didn't like mine soupy either and I don't cook them that way. We eat pretty much vegan now so I keep them pretty plain. Before going vegan, I would use a pork roast and Mexican seasoning in my pintos, ham and onions in the butter beans and black eyed peas. I love chile powder and cumin in black beans - Italian spices are good there too.

Reactions: kattails

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
blackeyed peas, real butter and a splash of franks durkee red hot

Reactions: kattails

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I wasn't fond of any kind of dry bean, except in chili as a kid, a taste I acquired as an adult. That said, try bean soup maybe? Do they like pea soup? If they do, or like "lentil goop" (what we call lentils & sausage or...) then a buzzed bean soup with ham would probably work.

The other thing I've started doing recently, got this from a frugal friend, is adding black beans to hamburgers. It's really good, makes 'em cheaper, and it does improve the flavor.

Judi

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
My kids love black beans in veggie burgers or black bean dip. They will eat refried beans and baked beans. Chili of course too. It's always mixed in something. :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The problem may be too many dry, hard beans. I've been putting more beans in my recipes, but still don't care for the dryish texture, even after soaking and simmering for hours on end.

If you are just looking for the nutrition, I would puree and put into the dishes that way. If you are truly looking for them to eat the beans as is, good luck. I think beans are something that most children start eating later in life for various reasons.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The problem may be too many dry, hard beans. I've been putting more beans in my recipes, but still don't care for the dryish texture, even after soaking and simmering for hours on end.
????????????????????

Why are your beans still dryish after soaking and simmering? Even at our altitude, mine are mushy after a regular cooking session.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Don't forget you can use any type of bean to make a dip.

Bean burritos might be fun. I also will make bean tacos out of refried beans.

You can also pretend that what ever you are eating with beans is really only for adults. Just make a big fuss over it until they decide to try some. Give them a little bit saying you probably won't like it, it really is for adults only. This usually gets them to trying it if not liking it.

I also like making taco salad with refried beans.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
????????????????????

Why are your beans still dryish after soaking and simmering? Even at our altitude, mine are mushy after a regular cooking session.
I'm not sure how to describe the texture, other than feeling like they are still dry on the inside. They feel nothing like canned beans. I don't know why they are the way they are.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I'm not sure how to describe the texture, other than feeling like they are still dry on the inside. They feel nothing like canned beans. I don't know why they are the way they are.
Have you had this result multiple times? I think old, dry beans will do this to you. I've also read that adding salt will prevent them from cooking so you need to add salt when they're done.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Have you had this result multiple times? I think old, dry beans will do this to you. I've also read that adding salt will prevent them from cooking so you need to add salt when they're done.
I've only made chili with dry kidney beans once. I have made refried beans in the crock pot several times, but those were obviously pinto. I also haven't seasoned any of my beans with salt while cooking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.