Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently started listening to Dave Ramsey's podcasts on my phone. I have tried to get my wife to listen or watch some youtube clips, but she isn't showing much interest. Anyway, we have 2 car loans that total $40K, but we have $60K in savings. She wants to keep the cash in savings for if we move and need it for misc expenses, movers, furniture, etc... I say pay off the car loans and start building the savings back up. Any tips for getting her on board?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well how to get my loved one to get to do something is a bit tough to answer on. Not in the least because it also depends on your loved one on what would be the best approach to present your case. What you could try it calculate out the interest you would pay more by having the car loans instead of paying them off. Another thing you could do is count out a 6 month emergency fund (I am assuming you both work) and count out what the basic expenses of the move you are planning are. The difference could then be used to pay off the cars...
I am afraid though that when it comes to frugality, it is best to lead by example and maybe not start with the big things that could cause tension. If your wife doesn't agree with you and you aren't in a need for money or expect some kind of financial problems, it might be better to let it rest for now and work on some smaller things. I assume you don't have CCs with a balance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice. I will crunch the numbers and review with her. Yes we both work and I think she really wants the cash available if a house becomes available in the area that we are looking. The car loans are our only debt besides our house and yes we both work. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts