Frugal Village Forums banner

Help with burnt cake!

Tags
burnt cake
953 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  frugalwarrior2 
#1 ·
When we first got married we lived in two houses in a row with gas stoves/ovens. No problem. Any burnt food was my fault. lol

Here in Lebanon we have our stoves/ovens hooked up to small propane tanks in the kitchen. The oven works fine when I'm baking meat dishes, etc. but if I bake a cake or banana bread, it burns. I set the timer for less time, sometimes choose a lower temp, and it still will burn before it's done on the inside.

Sometimes I use a pan with nonstick surface, thinking that was it, but I never had a problem with them before. They can still burn in glass pans too. I've stopped using Pam and just rubbing butter instead because I thought that was causing the problem. No, still does it.

Temps and time seem to be just fine when I'm baking anything else. It's just cakes/breads. It's so aggravating.

Anyone out there have more experience with gas ovens than I do? Any tricks that could help me out here?

#2 ·
Butter will burn before oil or vegetable shortening will.

Thin, cheap pans will burn before heavy duty pans.

Have you tried lining the pans with baking paper like professional chefs do?

Do you actually have a gas flame in your oven, or is it just gas heated air?

#5 ·
OK, I didn't know that about butter. I have some Pam that we brought from Kuwait with us. It's pricey here but could be worth the money if it keeps me from wasting cakes and time.

It's actually a gas flame at the bottom of the oven. It has an electric lighter for the burners and oven, but I can light it myself if the power's out when I need to light it. Fortunately I can usually just wait for the generator come on since it doesn't usually take more than a few minutes.

I have a gas stove/oven. I won't live in a place that doesn't have them.

Cakes and breads are a touchy thing in the wrong pans and your gas oven may be 'off' in temperature. You may want to look in to buying an oven thermometer.

I use glass pans, adjust cooking time accordingly, and check on them 5 minutes before the suggested baking time.

I never use butter to grease the pans, use paper liners when making cupcakes in the metal pan and never baked in disposable (thin) pans.

Hope that helps!
My pans aren't too lightweight, I think. Most have nonstick coating.

I was wondering if you put a cookie sheet under the pan if it would help. If it's burning the top use tin foil. I do alot of camp cooking.
Do you mean cover the pan with foil? Should I cover like I would to store in frig or just lay the foil on top loosely?

By baking paper, do you mean wax paper? That would work ok for the round pans but what about a bunt pan? Also, I have a tube pan that I like because the bottom with the "pole" attached lifts out. Makes it much easier to remove. However, unless it's a thick batter, it leaks out into the oven. Would the wax paper help to prevent that? But what would be the best way to line a pan with something in the middle with that?

I had a mom at school suggest lowing the temp to the lowest setting after the cake starts to rise. Would that work?

Thanks for the advice!

#3 ·
I have a gas stove/oven. I won't live in a place that doesn't have them.

Cakes and breads are a touchy thing in the wrong pans and your gas oven may be 'off' in temperature. You may want to look in to buying an oven thermometer.

I use glass pans, adjust cooking time accordingly, and check on them 5 minutes before the suggested baking time.

I never use butter to grease the pans, use paper liners when making cupcakes in the metal pan and never baked in disposable (thin) pans.

Hope that helps!

#6 ·
Your tube pan is an angel food pan and only really works with angel food cake or stuff like monkey bread.

I believe she meant lay the foil loosely over the cake when you put it in the oven.

Do you think your stove was cheaply made? Does it REALLY heat up your kitchen when you use it? Do your cakes fall? If so it’s probably a problem with the thermostat. I would make sure to get an oven thermometer and test it.

Something that may help if you try it is to get 2 pizza stones put one on the top shelf and one on the bottom. Preheat the oven and then put your cake pan with the batter in it on the bottom stone. The pizza stones may help insulate the cake from the temp fluctuations. If you can’t find pizza stones that will fit well, try bricks.

BTW, keep in mind that Pam is oil with lecithin and propellants added. Just use your hand to wipe some canola or vegetable oil (not olive) into the pan.

Good luck with your cakes! Every stove is different and we all have to learn new things when we get a new one.

#8 ·
The pizza stones are a good idea. Also, I know a few people who cook in RVs (the same sort of oven you are describing I think) and they always put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to keep things from burning.

Baking paper is usually parchment paper which is used instead of (but not always) greasing pans or cookie sheets.

#9 ·
I think it's the open flame that's doing it. I would try a cookie sheet on the bottom rack, if you have one, to block the direct heat to the cake pan.

#10 ·
There is a cover over the flame with an opening in front where I can light it myself if necessary. But it might still be that opening that's allowing too much heat.

The oven is a good one, brand-wise. Reputable over here. Our friend works at the store where we bought it and is up on which brands are better, more dependable, etc. He picked it out for us.

I don't recall seeing the flame in our stoves in the States, so that might be why I have trouble with gas ovens over here.

I'll try your suggestions with the cake I'm making tonight. I want to make a b-day cake tomorrow for a cousin and need to try these before doing that. Save me some aggravation, I hope. ;)

#11 ·
I covered the bottom rack with foil in my camper and put another rack in the middle to bake on. Seems the small over wasn't putting the heat around the pan just straight up on it. You may want to turn the heat down too..it may be to hot because the gas is so close to it. You didn't say if you had a regulator on the gas either.

#12 ·
All I can do is set the temperature and turn the knob on the tank itself. I think the temp is generally ok since I have good luck with other types of foods. Meats are cooked thoroughly without burning, etc.

I have a pan that slides in where the racks go so I used it under the rack. I also used canola oil instead of butter. No burns and it's delicious. I did set the timer for 5 minutes less and it was done.

I couldn't get it out of the pan without messing it up (even with plenty of oil) so I got some parchment paper at the store this morning so I can get the cake out without ruining it. Don't have time to do it again.

Thanks! These ideas have helped a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.