Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a loaf of bread in my machine. I must have measured the flour wrong because it turned out like a cross between a brick and a sponge.
We won't ve able to eat it as is. But I don't want to pitch it. Is there anything I could do with it? French toast? Casserole of some sort? Help me please? TIA

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Can you make toast from it? Or grind it into bread crumbs in the food processor and then freeze to use as needed?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toast isn't good, we tried it. I'l try breadcrumbs but it isn't something I use a lot.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Do you feed birds or other wildlife? They would probably appreciate it at this time of year. We give stuff like old bread to our deer sometimes.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Croutons? Stuffing? My first thought is breadcrumbs as well. Even if you don't use them much, they should keep nicely in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the ideas. I told my mom about it and she said she's like it for the birds she feeds. So I'll go the lazy route and bring it to her!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If our bread doesn't turn out well, I dehydrate it, grind it, and put it in the freezer for bread crumbs. If I have enough bread crumbs, it goes outside for the squirrels and birds.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I haven;t been around much lately, sorry. If the bread tastes good, then a bread pudding or something like that, where the bread cubes soak for a while, would work. A breakfast casserole that sits in the fridge overnight. Otherwise, it's a loss. Did you check your yeast? I always proof the yeast, no matter what a recipe says. Also, you might have killed the yeast with too-hot liquid. I tend to use room temperature liquids, to prevent this. They will heat up enough in the bread machine to work properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts