Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't afford a tutor or tutoring service (200 a month) my daughter is failing in reading and writting. She does have a LD in those areas. I need to give her extra help does anyone have any things they have done with there children to help them. She is in grade one.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can you be a little more specific with the LD?? What works with A might not work with B.

Often with reading and writing the pathway between the left and right side of the brain do not pass communication well. We used a Brain Integration Therapy (done by myself - daily)to help.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she has trouble reading and writting. She has poor fine motor skills. She has trouble taking information off the page to her head and back out again. If that makes sense, she also has ADHD and an impulse control problem. She got D's on her report card in reading and writting. The rest were C's and B's. I just can't believe that they are thinking about passing her on to grade two if she can hardley read or write. We are going to go and speak with her teacher as soon as possible. We had her at oxford for a few months but I just couldn't keep up with the 200 a month. Now we are living with my inlaws in the middle of no where 45 mins from the city I can't find a tutor willing to come out all that way for an hour that I can afford. I can't blame them though that is a long way.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Does she qualify for special education services at her school? You say she has a learning disability and ADHD. How were they diagnosed? If it was done through the public school system, then even if she didn't qualify for help from special ed, then can she get help under a Section 504? Or through a remedial program at the school?

If she was diagnosed privately, then you need to share the testing/paperwork from the doctor with the school.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Private tutor was my first thot - but since you live so far out and have access to a computer / internet, I would check out homeschooling resources online.

I agree that I would not want my child passed to the next grade w/o getting a good grip on what's already being taught. DS was almost held back in 4th and I wish they would have. Being held back in an earlier grade is MUCH better than being held back later.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was diagnosed through a childrens mental health service. She was tested on everything.
I am home by talking to her teacher that they may be able to get her an EA. They know they have copy's of all the results. The OT that sees her is through the school.

I will have to check out the homeschooling websites. I was thinking today as a matter of fact that maybe I should come up with extra things to help her and have her do 15 mins of work a day, including weekends. I was also thinking that if I could do something like homeschool through the summer since I am home with her that it might help her catch up some.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would go and have a talk with her teacher and express your concerns. Maybe you could consider yourself her tutor and set up 'tutoring' sessions daily with her. I would approach the teacher with this idea and have the teacher supply targeted lessons, exercises, worksheets, books, etc, that she feels would most benefit your dd, in the areas she feels your daughter could use the most help with. You and your dds teacher can then become a team with the goal of covering exactly the areas your dd could use strengthing. Good luck!

·
10,111 Posts
~Well, if my 7yo was in a traditional school he'd be failing in those subjects too. Phonics games have helped him immensely with learning how to read but he still doesn't understand how to process some stories and answer questions about the how's and why's. In writing, his grip is very poor and that's something we'll be working on in the coming months.
My plan with answering reading questions(don't know if that's the area you dd is struggling with too?)is to give multiple choice questions with every book we read all summer. These will be 50% the books he already has and has read so he should understand the stories very well. The other 50% will be more challenging library books since he'll have to carefully listen to the names, plots and stories to be able to answer the questions. I'm actually going to start with very silly multiple choice questions so the answer is obvious.
With writing, I first plan to help him correct his grip. I bought him some special paper that has raised lines so he can feel them with his pencil as he bumps them. Got it at Walmart. :D That's just the technical side of writing though and that improves with practice practice practice. As I mentioned, my ds doesn't understand how to craft a story and his communication skills are poor so we're working on journaling and story papers this summer. Journaling will start as simply as the date and a sentence about the weather. Maybe it will include what bugs we saw outside or what we had for lunch. Just a sentence or two at first. Story paper gives a space at the top to draw a picture or tape in magazine clipping or two to make a story. I'm going to let him just write the facts about the pictures at first if that's what he wants(Like, "The fish and dolphin are swimming in the ocean"). But I want to get him to the point of telling me the fish and dolphin's names and where they are swimming to and why.
I don't know if my ideas will help you or not but I hope you find some fun activities to do with your dd that will help!~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.