Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~My 7.75 yo ds is finally reading independently! He's been able to read tons of words for years but it seemed to take so long for him to connect all the words together into sentences and ideas. He'd label everything in the pictures with the words he recognized and understand what the story was about as I read it to him but now he can connect it all together himself.
I am just way beyond thrilled to see him run his finger under words on the page and say each one carefully and then watch him scan the page for confirmation of the meaning connected with the words. He's even reading aloud outside of school time!
Teaching him has been a challenge but it is so rewarding.
I'm sure a standard school would still consider him delayed and special needs but he just amazes me!!!~

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
How wonderful! You have done such a good job, and kudos to your son! Reading will open a whole new world to him.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks awesome nuisance! :clap:

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for sharing such wonderful news!!! I think in Europe it is not uncommon for children to be taught to read laterr - cannot remember where - but with no negative effects later in life.

I'm especially thrilled to hear that he's reading for pleasure - now that's a true reader!!

·
27,948 Posts
My first big smile for the day, wonderful news!! :cloud9:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Congrats to you both!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Awesome!!!

My 9yo ds is finally getting it. He's writing like crazy now & I am so proud.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
How wonderful. I know that you are so proud of your son.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Awesome!

My daughter didn't really get reading until she was 7. She is now one of the top readers in her class at age 10. This isn't overly late to read even though we push for earlier.

amanda

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
That is fabulous!

Actually, 7 is early for my house. None of my guys learned before they were 8. My guys were 9, 10, and 8 before they learned to read. They all read "grade level" now. The one who was 10 went from reading simple easy readers to "grade level" in six months.

·
19,119 Posts
What we consider late readers now used to be the norm years ago. Just think what our children could do and how their brains would develop if instead of forcing reading at an early age, we supported self-discovery and exploration to boost full neurological development and natural development!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Congratulations! :cheer4:

Teaching kids to read is a challenge, even if they aren't behind schedule. You can teach them sounds but it's so hard to teach them to put it all together. It was always a huge leap for my kids to go from cuh-a-tuh to cat. And it's so great to see so much of their homeschooling go on autopilot after they can read on their own. My almost 7 year old can walk herself through most of her subjects now which is just heavenly. :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts