Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cottage has a computer and internet connection so I thoght I would stop by with a quick hello.

Dd's racing went well. She made 2 finals and finished 4th and fifth. Not enough to medal but it makes her 4/5th out of all the girls in her age category in the country.

The weather's been lousy. One rain storm after the other with high winds.... so the racing was very tricky too.

The cottages have been lovely. The first one was very rustic but we had everything we needed includng our own beach with canoe, paddle boat, and blow up dinghy's. The one we are in now is BEAUTIFUL. Lovely view, gorgeous bedrooms and a dream kitchen. But the mosquitos keep us indoors!

Both cottages had all the extras provided....spices, coffee, tea, sauces, plastic wrap, picnic supplies etc. So I only had to provide the fresh food.

I have applied every frugal trick I could.

I found Save- easy stores very reasonably priced (Sobey's is outrageous). And have cooked most meals at the cottages. I even found complete pancake mixes on sale at $1.93 a box. I would cook up a whole box at a time and freeze, and so there were quick high energy breakfasts available every raceday morning for super cheap prices.
Groceries have been $205 so far. It included alot of fresh friut, some convenience food (lasagnas and pizzas), and some seafood. Not too bad. Milk is far more expensive here though!
I have spent only $240 in restaurant meals for 10 days. Not too bad. Especially since it included one lobster supper(for all five of us), put on by two kayak club groups. It also included lunch when we landed, and a formal dinner with the Olympic team to which my Dh and I was invited, and a chinese buffet awards dinner for all the athletes.

I have spent nothing on souveneers and nothing on club/national wear. The kids only souveneers were posters of Adam Vancouverden, signed by him. The posters were free and the memories of going up to him after a race to ask for his autograph, priceless!

Most of our sightseeing has been free. We've been to historic villages and lighthouses, bays and beaches. All free. But we paid to go to the citadel $30, and spent 5 hours there. And we went
on the Corvette (Used in WWII convoys) at the Maritime museum for $9 for the whole family.

My one big splurge was $40 for books which we will use for school. Personal heroe stories from WW II, loyalist women stories, first hand accounts of being on the corvettes in the convoys, the story of the Halifax explosion and more.

We have two more days and then we will be heading home. I have to buy some more food for tomorrow nights supper but thats it.

I had to use the credit card for the car rental (gulp) $640 for 10 days. And for gas ugh.

But I did the best I could to keep this a reasonably frugal holiday/ athletic trip/ educational activity as I could.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
4th and 5th places are great when you are competing against all the girls in the country!! Congratulations to your DD!!

It sounds like you and your family are having a great time. Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe trip home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts