Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and this looks like a great community.
Recently I quit my high pressured corporate job with a major US multinational that was located here is Sydney. I'm 51 yrs and simply got fed up with 11 hours a day at work not being enough to keep the corporation happy! Couldn't believe the volume of work....so, with my husbands 'blessing' 3 weeks ago I quit! It was so liberating. Now I am a stay at home mum (step daughter is 17 years) and it's the first time in my adult life I have not earnt an income.

Despite the significant financial curve ball...It's all quite exciting....so I am putting into practice my best home economic skills (that's what they taught us here in Au in the 1970s in high school for girls). It's amazing experience and I'm loving it so far. We are now what they call in Australia the "Aussie battlers"....single income families in Sydney - perhaps the second most expensive city in the world to live in.

How did you hear about frugal village?
I heard about frugal village several years ago but didn't visit. I wrote an article on weight loss which was used on this site for a while. My recent career change prompted me to come and look at the site now....and I need to have the best skills as possible to run a family on a single income.

What interests you here?
Just about everything at the moment.

How many kids? Ages?
I am a step mum to Stephanie, who's 17 years and in her final year of high school in Sydney. It's a very big deal to do your Higher School Certificate because it is the exam that determines college placements after high school.

Tell us about yourself.
ahhh...career woman all my life. Married just 9 years...started late in the family thing. No kids of my own...except that Steph is the sort of daughter I would have wanted if I gave birth to a child. She's gorgeous and a great kid.

Do you own any pets?
Oh yes....our family has two beagle dogs. If you saw them you would want to have them as well!

Occupation?
Human Resources Manager....now probably will develop some sort of internet business. Just assessing everything.

Married or single?
Married.

Interests and hobbies?
Internet marketing, walking dogs, church activities, coffee with girlfriends, gardening, home decoration, cake making, scrapbooking, card making, playing piano, composing music and writing songs.... and visiting my elderly parents. All of the above hobbies have been on a back burner for years because in reality I've spent my time at the office, then desperately using the weekends to get ready for the next week of work. Sad isn't it?!! So glad I had the opportunity to say "no", "enough is enough".

I was pretty disappointed with the hard-nosed approach of my employer, but every cloud does have a silver lining....and right now I feel like a brand new woman. I've been given a most wonderful gift by my adorable, understanding husband.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there

Hi there I am a newbie as well I come from the sunshine coast in
the not so sunny of late Queensland. I am also a bit of a workaholic who needs to take the step you did and say NO. I work in the public health sector. Great to have a fellow aussie here
cheers froggy:grwave:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hello and :welcome2: from Oklahoma. :wave: I am happy for you that you could give up all that stress of your job. You will learn a bunch from all the great people here. :)

·
28,354 Posts
Welcome! I can "hear" the excitment in your voice about the way your life is changing. Good stuff!:thumb:

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Hi there and :welcome:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Hi! --and welcome to Frugal Village!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
:welcome: to Frugal Village!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.