Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting them for a long time but it's so expensive!! I'm just wondering who has them and if you pay a lot (I know...not frugal!) to get them done or do you do them yourself? I think they have something out that you can do at home but I'm just curious as to how difficult it is. Thanks!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I have been getting hightlights for a couple of years now. Now that my hair is short it seems to need it more often, every 3-4 months. It costs me about $60.00 (CDN) I haven't had it done for awhile and it needs it badly but I seem to be getting used to the other colour ;) that is coming in on the sides. I have never tried doing it at home so I can't help you with that, it's probably not too hard though. Good luck!!!:smball:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be a little nervous to try it at home but if others say it works well and is easy I might give it a try. Last time I colored my hair was befor Malcom came home from his 9 month deployment. I colored my hair a brown color....nothing to different or so I thought!! It came out purple looking!! I freaked out!!!!!!! thank goodness I have a good friend that is a hairdresser...she lives in Texas. Anyway she told me to use Prell and it would take it out. I didn't even know they still sold it but they do and it worked!!! So there is a tip for you...I've had other friends who have used Prell too and it worked for them. :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I actually just highlighted my hair lastnight using the Loreal Colour experte highlighting kit...

I messed up and accidently knocked out some of the highlighting cream so I didn't have enough for as much hair as I have. Even if I hadn't knocked out that bit, I still would have needed more...

I messed up on one side and made one huge streak and it came out a lot lighter than the rest so I sort of evened it out by putting some of the leftover base dye on parts of it..

It was a big hassle since you have to do the base dye first then the highlights...and I had to have carl do the back of my hair.

I think after these highlights are gone, I'm going to try using 'sun in' to make highlights on my hair. It's cheaper and easier. There just wasn't enough of the highlighting cream in my kit to really work, and I don't think it looked THAT great... BUT on the other hand I know I would have had to pay upwards of 100$ here to get it done so knowing that I think it looks pretty good for what we paid ;)

Carl says he really likes it, and i think i like it compared to what my hair looked like before, which was just a flat brown/auburn color. (with dark roots growing in)

Ok wait, I'll show you pics of my hair with the highlights :D

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Daphne.....Wow, that's good to know, I wonder what is in it to neutralize the colour?? But then again, who cares if it works!!!!! LOL!! I know it probably wasn't funny at the time about your hair but I can just picture it!! :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
oh one more thing, if you do do it yourself...think about ALL the styles you would put your hair in.

Directions said to comb it the way you normally style it to do the highlights ...WELL after I did that, when I pulled my hair back in a ponytail~~ NOT cute! ALthough with some strategic placement I finally got it to look ok, but if I ever want to just throw it back real quick~well that's out of the question now! :D

So basically, think about all the ways you might be wearing your hair other than just the normal style you wear. Maybe you wear a bun sometimes, so you will want to make sure that you highlight your bottom layers of hair as well, kwim?

I think I would also like to try the method that uses a cap and some holes that you'd pull the hair through?

one of these days I might just splurge and get it done in a salon. I'm thinking around our anniversary would be nice :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice Heather.....I still don't know if I could do it at home. I'm going to have to think about this a little more. To be honest with you I'll probably get it done in a salon for the first time.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Yeah that's probably the best bet, my husband while applying the highlights kept saying "NEXT TIME we are GOING to the SALON!" :D

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heather I know where you are coming from....Malcom has had his fair share of helping me with beauty stuff. I think the worst was when he had to shave my underarm after I cut my finger. It was the funniest thing and the most unromantic thing possible!!! He would die if he knew I told ya'll that!! :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
awww that's really sweet :D Did he nick you at all? Underarms are the hardest for me to shave, let alone someone else :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll ask....
have you ever seen the frugal tip for dark hair to use tea for natural highlights? does that really work?
Then there was another frugal tip that used potatoes... um, does that work?

I've been thinking about hightlights too so this is interesting. My dh won't even cut my hair... totally understandable since I have real thick and lots of body, some curls

I've only seen blonde highlight kits and I don't want to go too blonde w/ my hair color, kwim? If it lighten that would be cool but I don't want it to lighten too much & since I don't know what I'm doing it's tough to know what those kits would turn out like on me. I want it to look natural, kwim?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I did my friends hair with the kit that has the cap that you pull the hair through. It did turn out really cute, but it was a huge undertaking. I wouldn't do it again and I can't imagine someone being able to do it themselves.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I used a Loriel Highlighing kit on DD hair. It did not turn out to well. We had the same problem as Heather, we did not have enough bleach to do her hair, and it did not bleach out enough. We ended up with ORANGE :yikes: streaks. I think it would take 2 kits to do most peoples hair unless their hair was short or very very thin.

I definately would recommend using a salon. The extra money is worth saving yourself the headache of a bad bleach job. :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
learning, I don't know anything about the tea types of treatments, but the loreal kits do have different shades of brown that are supposed to turn out caramel and other types of shades like that. *my hair did not turn caramel like it was supposed to. I think if I did not leave it on for the time specified it might have stayed caramel because as it changed colors it did look caramel for a while.

I am definitly going to be re doing my hair as soon as I can though...do I have to wait three weeks after doing a dye job?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
No Heather you can do it right after.Just make sure you don't over process your hair,I would do a deep conditioning treatment inbetween.Also from my tips in your post,if you pull it threw the cap make sure you brush it really good first.also make sure the cap is tight and sprinkle baby powder in the cap(won't stick to your hair)I'm probably going to do them as soon as my hair is long enough(it is but not worth the effort right now)also don't use sun in.It is awful for your hair.DO NOT USE THAT PLEASE.I don't want you all running around with hay heads!!!:D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
thanks amanda! :D I do remember my hair not feeling all too smooth with the sun in :toothy:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
last time i did highlights to my hair i went to a salon and it cost $90.00 but she had to use 3x the normal amount and almost didnt have enough.i have very thick hair and its chemicaly streighted(sorry sp) so i didn't do too bad.

im not getting it done until im working again..instead i need more work on my teeth.i had braces and now they are off.but my cap factured and i need an implant.i was quoted a price of $3,000.00:eek: so im waiting for a while until i get it done..or if they can remove a tooth from the other side of my mouth i will get braces a gain and that will take care of my over bite..but knowing me i wont do anything LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts